StrayVagabond

What are the Plated Iron Rings plated... with?

I'm also wondering about the Enameled wire. I've been looking around google for a bit but I can't seem to discover what enameled wire is enameled... with?

The ringlord page says it has a "colored layer and plastic coat" but what is that colored layer made of?

Here is the chemical engineering answer...

Plating is a very thin layer of metal.  Usually applied by an electrochemical process.  So silver plated iron rings would have a very thin layer of silver on them.  Making them look exactly like silver (as long as the layer is not worn through).

Enamel is a layer of powdered glass and pigments melted on the metal.  

I think he means the colored ones,  which are not metal plated but it says powder coated for the actual material you could try sending them and email to ask

Edited by calisandra

Enamelled copper is covered with nylon.  Which is totally NOT enamel.  no idea why its called enamel.

The metallic plated silvered are plated with a thin layer of metal.  All we now about this metal is its lead free and cadmium free.  Based on the price its also gold free - I think the silver plated has silver in it.  Any plated we don't say is nickel free has nickel in it.