Kolormr

Price on scale armor

I was wondering on how much to charge for scale armor?

I recently made a vest of scale for myself & now i know a few people who are thinking about having me make them one. I spent about $200.00 on making mine, but since I cant find anywhere on the web where they sell scale not attached to a leather backing im at a loss on how much to charge for such a product.

It really depends what your time is worth to you.... I get asked just about daily howmuch I would charge for a chainmaille shirt. I usually tell them $1000, +/- $200 (or more) depending on size material and time frame they want it in..... Scale shirts cost more on the material end.... so I would be pricing it higher

Then again these are your friends... do they have talents, etc that they could barter with? I.E I am trading a chainmaille shirt to my Brother inlaw for assistance in my house renos (he is good with wood, im good with metal.... pretty fair trade in my books)

I would not want less than $5000 for this. Took too long to make to sell for chump change. Plus, its hte original scales, cant get that quality anymore.

shinychris.jpgshinywinthorp.jpg

I my opinion scale would have to be top range prices. The materials cost a lot, it takes a long time to make and you don't see it around as much as maille.

The usual pricing system is

materials X2 +

fair hourly rate +

profit

I made an interesting piece (have to get a pic of it still) out of scale. It was for a buddy of mine who is native, and he designed it up for me to make.

it's basically a vest with no back to it (held by chain at various parts). The front of it is tapered at the top and bottom. Kinda reminds me of Harvey Birdman's mask.

Anyway, took me only about 6 hours to make, and I charged him only $150 for it. So I now know that I'm underpricing things, but he is my buddy.

I would not want less than $5000 for this. Took too long to make to sell for chump change. Plus, its hte original scales, cant get that quality anymore.

$5,000. If someone will pay that much, great.

You most certainly can get scales that are equal to or better quality than the orginal TRL scales. It depends where you shop. The large ones are commonly available.

The materials cost a lot, it takes a long time to make and you don't see it around as much as maille.

Materials are not that much more. As far as time required, it takes much less time to weave scales than just rings.

G'day!

Also, you need less total parts with scale then rings. Unit price with scales is more, but there are significantly less units, so it works out cheaper, especially when you consider how fast it goes (large scales, not small). My third scale vest took ~ 20 hours with butted stainless rings and large scales.

Dave

To each their own opinion then. 8000+ small scales all put together with stainless split rings isnt an easy or fast project to do. If you make something unique, you charge an amount worth your time and effort. Thats around $1k just in materials.

If you dont think that shirt is worth $5k thats nice. Go make one, then get back to me, until then stop speculating and saying its too much.

If you dont think that shirt is worth $5k thats nice. Go make one, then get back to me, until then stop speculating and saying its too much.

If somebody is willing to pay $5k for it, kudos to you. At least you're not willing to sell yourself short. It seems that most people sell their goods for much less than what they're worth because that's the amount that they think customers will pay for them.

Thats around $1k just in materials.

You paid way too much for material.

I never for once said that $5,000 is too high a price for your creation. If you think that is what it is worth, who is anyone to argue? However, I would be seriously impressed if you got that much for one.

I have never made a vest from scales, small or large. I have, however, pieced together 10's of thousands of small and large scales into sheets using both split and butted rings for people to assemble their own scale vests. For them, it is much like going down to the fabric store to buy cotton yard goods. It is not necessary to weave your own fabric (cotton or metal) to make a shirt in order to call it your own.

As I and others have said it over and over, assembling scales is no big deal. People seem to think they conclude that they are difficult without actually trying them.

G'day!

As for my comment Martin, I clearly stated that I used large scales...small scales for me are a whole other can of worms. As for your vest being too expensive, I don't think so. I know I personally wouldn't make one for less then that.

As for selling ourselves short, I think it was TML who put it best a while ago something along the lines of, "If I am efficient and capable enough to make a bracelet in 10 minutes and sell it for $5, why not. I'm still making $30/hr. For those who take longer to make the same piece, there works will cost more." I fully agree with this idea, and for those who charge 'way too much' as others say, who am I to say what their time is worth? Depending what work I am doing, I get paid different amounts. If there is no other work option available, my time is free. What I do with my free time is my choice.

In order to make more money (assuming you are using the same quality of materials and work), either you A - get lower costing, same quality materials, B - work more efficiently, C - get someone else to do it for you who works cheaper, D - charge more for your work, or E - a mix of the other options.

Dave

As I and others have said it over and over, assembling scales is no big deal. People seem to think they conclude that they are difficult without actually trying them.

You and others may think that assembling scales is no big deal but I have seen on these forums time and again people saying how much trouble they have with them. Also please don't assume that others conclude they are difficult without trying them as all of these comments have come from people who actually have tried them.

Kolormr, ya gotta figure out how much time you spent making the thing. Figure in some overhead for wear on your tools, don't forget the shipping cost of all that material, then give yourself something fair per hour - and top it off with some profit.

Above all, if you give discounts to friends off that retail price, be sure they know they're getting a discount because they know you - otherwise you wind up with a bunch of friends who think mail and related products are all worth less than they actually are, and then they pass that idea onto their friends, and so on and so forth.

I once watched a teenager scoff as she looked at one of the prices on my necklaces at an event - only thing I could figure is that either she made mail herself and was figuring the price based on minimum wage, or she had a friend who made mail who sold her something similar for about a quarter what I was asking for it.

Sorry to ramble, it's late.

To each their own opinion then. 8000+ small scales all put together with stainless split rings isnt an easy or fast project to do. If you make something unique, you charge an amount worth your time and effort. Thats around $1k just in materials.

It cost me 45 euros (about 70 dollars) for a sheet of 2 by 1 meter (.5mm thick [24g]) steel and another 100 for a standing saw machine. I haven't bought and rings, i plan on making them myself from mild steel wire (rivited) i expect that to cost about 50 dollars...

Mind you i haven't started the project yet, but i don't think its 1000$ for materials...

I once read an article on armor somewhere and i said you can:

1. Get it now

2. Get it cheap

3. Get it high quality

But you only get 2 of the three.

I'm sure it'll take a good amount of time to produce, but it'll be worth it.

Materials are easy to figure out. For time, there are two factors I look at:

-How much time am I spending

-How much is said time worth

For a), I recommend keeping a spreadsheet of how long you spend crafting day-to-day on any given project.

For B) I just give myself the same wage I get at my day job doing construction work.

if your planning on selling armor Time is the most valuable thing you put into the project. I get asked to make armor from time to time...they usually walk away when I start at 3000 for a small shirt. if you are making something to sell and not charging at least 10 bucks an hour you are doing things utterly wrong.

Understand I'm not saying your getting paid 10 an hour, just that you are charging the customer for your time at 10. Personally I'd charge more then that. Mail(scale or chain) is a rare skill(assuming you have skill).

if you aren't charging at least 10 bucks an hour, just go work fast food someplace.

Last time I said this someone gave me a rant about how they "do it for enjoyment" Understand 2 things. First, I don't care why you do it. Second, if your selling it, it's not about love, it's about money.

This is the mail industry forum, Here we produce and sell. you are insulting yourself and ALL THE REST of us that produce and sell if you can't at least TRY to charge a decent hourly rate.

Last time I said this someone gave me a rant about how they "do it for enjoyment" Understand 2 things. First, I don't care why you do it. Second, if your selling it, it's not about love, it's about money.

This is the mail industry forum, Here we produce and sell. you are insulting yourself and ALL THE REST of us that produce and sell if you can't at least TRY to charge a decent hourly rate.

Well, very obviously you do care a lot about "why you do it". And the insults go both ways. There are many out there that take great enoyment in making products and 'giving' them away. It is very much up to the individual craftsperson to determine what they want to get out of a project in the end. Often, money is secondary.

Well, very obviously you do care a lot about "why you do it". And the insults go both ways. There are many out there that take great enoyment in making products and 'giving' them away. It is very much up to the individual craftsperson to determine what they want to get out of a project in the end. Often, money is secondary.

+1 on that...

well, it would seem that prices vary as much as people. It really IS a matter of your personal view as to how much to charge. But ultimatly, its actually about how much the customer will pay. If you've seen 20 customers walk away from a price, maybe you need to examine that price again. I've made several shirts now, and though a few people do walk away, many more discuss details and styles, and are willing to pay what I ask, which, for a SS 14ga 5/16" basic shirt is $1000 plus material.

For a scale vest (to get the thread back on topic...) I'd probably go about $1500 plus materials for small scales and split rings. Large scales with butted rings I'd stay about $1000.

My two rings worth anyway.

Giveing things away is a compleatly diffrent topic. I give away a lot. Price isn't exactly important if you arent' gonna get paid for it. If you acutally plan on selling a peice it's entirely diffrent. This is the industry forum afterall.

I once watched a teenager scoff as she looked at one of the prices on my necklaces at an event - only thing I could figure is that either she made mail herself and was figuring the price based on minimum wage, or she had a friend who made mail who sold her something similar for about a quarter what I was asking for it..

i find that these people (especially young ones) have no idea the amount of time and craftsmanship that goes into any project, be it armor, jewelry, or whatever, so they can't comprehend why the price would be that high. these are the people that wouldn't appreciate the piece even if they got it cheap, so don't think twice about what they think. put whatever you want on it, if people want it, they will buy it.