Kayle

My first attempt at an inlay project

15 posts in this topic

Well Chainmaille friends. Here is my progress sofar on the Jolly Roger flag that I plan to have hanging on the back of my Action Trackchair when I goto the St.Louis Renaissance Faire this year. I'm using 16 gauge 1/4" anodized aluminum rings for this project. I can hardly wait to get it finished and start on my American Flag.

Edited by Kayle
Had to delete photo so I can upload and update. Darned upload restrictions.

I started out by just looking at a picture that I found online and then someone told me about a program called IGP. That program turns your picture into a chainmaille pattern that if you want to you can print out to use as a guide. I'm still learning the program but having a lot of fun with it.

KrombopulosMichael likes this

Ah ha! I found that here http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.php?key=567

I'm now seriously considering adding a 5x7 in inlay to my shirt, that would be about 2016 rings 7/32" 16 gauge... I am having a hard time with the math - converting the image into width and length by ring count. if its 2016 rings total that's length times width = 2016 or 5x times 7y = 2016 which i can figure out with my algebra skillzzz but does that compute as 4-1 pattern? I think I'm overthinking this!

PS be sure to share the final result, it's looking great!

Kayle likes this

As soon as I'm able to get back to work on it I plan to post regular updates on it. I'm not good at computing the number of rings. When it comes to math, that's my weak point.

4 hours ago, Kayle said:

As soon as I'm able to get back to work on it I plan to post regular updates on it. I'm not good at computing the number of rings. When it comes to math, that's my weak point.

I just use trl's estimated rings per square foot of 4 - 1hoping that it is somewhat accurate

Kayle likes this

K-Michael, the laying-out is something like counted cross stitch.  You can see the results look a tad pixellated, depending on link size.  Graph paper is useful in the construction phase.

Handiest way to construct an inlay is to do the figure first, then fill in the background around it until you have a quadrilateral piece of mail in two or more colors, ready to zip into the rest of the shirt.  Simple is often best; crosses are rather popular.  Star Trek uniform comms badges are a little bit silly.

Kayle and KrombopulosMichael like this

Well, here's my last update until next month when I get more rings to work with. It's finally starting to take shape and I hope the picture looks right. TRL keeps cutting down the size of the file I can upload.

Edited by Kayle
Removing older pictures so I can post updates.

Here is my latest update on my Jolly Roger. I just ran out of black rings so I will have to wait until atleast next month to get more but it is slowly coming along. I'm already trying to plan my next inlay.

Jolly Roger 002.jpg

Thank You. I've been very busy working on things we plan to sell at our Farmers market this year. I can never seem to order enough rings for anything, much less my inlay.