bob51zhang

Where to get Aluminum wire in Canada?

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

So I'm new to this community, and kind of want to start making my own chainmail as a hobby. I don't really have that much money to spend on it, which is where my problem comes in.

I've been trying to find places where I can get Aluminum (or steel) wire in order to bend my own rings, but the problem is that Home depot, home hardware, amazon, and ebay are all extremely expensive.

Where would I buy Aluminium wire near Kitchener, ON?

Also, I'm gonna tack on another question. Approximately how much wire do I need to make a maille shirt?

Thanks!

I buy my aluminum wire from The Ring Lord by the 20 pound spool.

"How much for a shirt" depends on a lot of factors; gauge of wire, size of rings, weave used, size of the wearer... My first shirt was made in 12 gauge, 3/8" rings and weighs perhaps 20 pounds. I'm 5'9" and the shirt was made with 1/3 length sleeves. I made a sleeveless shirt for a ladyfriend who is 5'6" tall and around 120 pounds using 1/4", 16 gauge aluminum rings. I would say that it weighs about 7-to-8 pounds.

bob51zhang likes this

19 minutes ago, Rob MacLennan said:

I buy my aluminum wire from The Ring Lord by the 20 pound spool.

"How much for a shirt" depends on a lot of factors; gauge of wire, size of rings, weave used, size of the wearer... My first shirt was made in 12 gauge, 3/8" rings and weighs perhaps 20 pounds. I'm 5'9" and the shirt was made with 1/3 length sleeves. I made a sleeveless shirt for a ladyfriend who is 5'6" tall and around 120 pounds using 1/4", 16 gauge aluminum rings. I would say that it weighs about 7-to-8 pounds.

So would around 8lb of 18 gauge work for creating a chain-mail t-shirt?

If you're talking 18 gauge aluminum, then it wouldn't likely hold. The rings would pull open. 18 gauge isn't what you'd call strong. The thinner the gauge, the more easily it bends. The larger the rings, the more easily they open. That's why I like working with 16 gauge, 1/4" rings; they're a good compromise.

P1310042.JPG

Katlee likes this