KrombopulosMichael

The Bestest Pliers FAQ

Hello, TRL and community!
I am about halfway through my chainmaille vest and I've been using some $5 flat nose pliers from the store. I want some better pliers; my hands are riddled with little knicks and cuts from slippage. I had ordered the most expensive pliers after reading good reviews but I ended up returning them. 

What's the very finest pliers to use for stainless steel? I am using 16g 7/32" rings. It's kind of a tight weave and I really love the way it looks. I really think teeth are essential, but most of the pliers have no teeth.

Should I try out a flatnose with a bentnose? Why did the $40 pair suck for me?

What are your opinions, tlr?

I like my cheap little linesmans pliers, with worn teeth, broken springs and all. 16 ga 3/16 stainless used to be a massive pain, with occasional slips and hand damage. After switching things up, and essentially going on an unintentional hand strengthening regimen (working on 14 ga x 3/8 stainless, then 5/16, then 1/4), going back to 16 ga x 3/16 felt easy, and slips just stopped. However, during the 14 ga x 1/4 work, there were much slippage and cursing.

For stainless, I like our modified Knipex pliers or the Armorers pliers. Before I tried those, I used linesman pliers from hardware store. The Knipex and Armorers pliers don't have springs, so they take a little bit of getting used to, but you get the hang of them pretty quickly. You can watch Jon in some of our Youtube videos using them, so you can see how to use your finger to open them.

I have a pair of flat nosed parallel pliers that I got 1 1/2 years ago, and since I got them I've used them on everything from 18 titanium to 12 gauge galvy, and they have yet to fail me. Like most mailers here, I have broken a few pair of pliers in my time making mail, but these pliers have been going strong, no matter what kind of rings I use them on.  Not only that, but they are very affordable, I bought my pair for less that $20, but are durable and provide a surer grip on the ring than most teeth pliers I have tried.

The only drawback to them is the unpadded, non ergo handles, but wearing half fingered glove solves that problem.

20180731_224531.thumb.jpg.d7346b3150ffaf37fecd8db456f02e3e.jpg

On 8/1/2018 at 2:06 AM, Kittensoft_Chainmail said:

I have a pair of flat nosed parallel pliers that I got 1 1/2 years ago, and since I got them I've used them on everything from 18 titanium to 12 gauge galvy, and they have yet to fail me. Like most mailers here, I have broken a few pair of pliers in my time making mail, but these pliers have been going strong, no matter what kind of rings I use them on.  Not only that, but they are very affordable, I bought my pair for less that $20, but are durable and provide a surer grip on the ring than most teeth pliers I have tried.

The only drawback to them is the unpadded, non ergo handles, but wearing half fingered glove solves that problem.

20180731_224531.thumb.jpg.d7346b3150ffaf37fecd8db456f02e3e.jpg

Have you heard of Plasti Dip? It's a rubberized coating you can apply in either spray or dip form. It looks like you could plug the ends and seams of those pliers' handles, then dip them to get a somewhat softer grip on the handles.