Ahlundae

Newbie need help :)

17 posts in this topic

Hey there, I´m from Germany (sorry for my English) and I would like to create my first armor made of scale. I want it to look like the one on the picture... But I absolutely don´t know which size of scales and how much of them I have to buy. Also don´t know which rings I need. Maybe there is somebody who can support me a little bit? :)

Scale-Armor.png

Edited by Ahlundae

The picture is rather small, but it looks like those are small scales. For small scales you connect them with small split rings or 3/16", 18 gauge rings. The split rings can be ordered on the Small Scales page of The Ring Lord's website and the rings can be found on the page for the appropriate material rings. If using regular rings with a project that large I would recommend using a stronger material like stainless steel, so the weight doesn't start pulling the rings open.

One thousand small scales are required to create a piece which is a little over 30cm x 30cm in size. You will need roughly twice as many rings as scales for the project. You'll want to get somewhat more than twice as many rings, as additional rings can be used to "stabilize" the bottom row of scales in the project.

Hey Rob,

Thanks so much for the quick reply! :) It ist very nice explained to me!

Which scales would you recommend? I would like to have faint silver ones...or maybe something that is dark silver (like the colour "Black Ice" of The Ring Lord´s website)? Only black is too dark...and I don´t want them too shiny.

At least: I don´t understand what " PREMIUM Bright Anodized Aluminum - Small Scale - sold by the bag of 10 "  (http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=244&cat=Scales+-+Small+and+Tiny) means... "Pkg" = packages? So I have to buy 10 packages per USD 2,50 (if so...how much scales are in it)? Or is it a bag including only 10 scales? 

The bright anodized aluminum scales are VERY shiny and they only come 10 to a package, whereas the regular anodized small scales come in bags of 100. The Black Ice scales do look very nice and are more of a shiny dark grey than black, but that would be a rather expensive piece you would be making.

If you want something that is silver but not highly reflective, then the Frost scales might be more what you are looking for. They have a matte finish on them, rather than a polished and shiny finish. They're a little further down the page from the Bright Anodized scales and are available in bulk bags of 1500, so are somewhat more economical.

Oh yeah...10 pieces per package that would be too expensive for me :( what a pity...I really like the colour.

But what is about the Anodized Aluminum - Small Scale - sold by the bag of 100 (see attached picture - graphite painted aluminium)? I think they are not shiny and a little bit more dark than the silver ones? And would you prefer "normal" rings of stainless steel or split rings?

scales.png

Edited by Ahlundae

I haven't worked with painted scales, myself. All my scale work has been done with shiny aluminum scales, shiny anodized aluminum scales, coloured anodized aluminum scales, and brass scales.

My personal preference is for 'normal' rings but I think that split rings would tend to be easier to work with, especially if you got a set of split ring pliers to use them with. It's like threading keys onto a key ring.

I haven't found split rings to be easier at all, particularly for a newbie. But if you use stainless rings with aluminum scales, the weight shouldn't pull them apart, I wouldn't think. (And get machine cut.)

Hello again and thank you so much for your answers! :) Yesterday the first scales arrived and I´ve made the first steps in weaving a scalemail. I ordered several scales (some black, some silver and the graphite ones) and "normal" rings made of steanleass steal...now I am looking which scales I prefer ^^.

If I have some questions...I will ask for help ;) And I will give you a picture when its done!!

On 10/31/2017 at 10:23 AM, OriCat said:

I haven't found split rings to be easier at all, particularly for a newbie. But if you use stainless rings with aluminum scales, the weight shouldn't pull them apart, I wouldn't think. (And get machine cut.)

I prefer split rings because they let me build sheets entirely by feel and not require a work surface. It took about ~3K scales to get to that point.

I have worked with the graphite colored ones and so far they have held well. However being painted there is a possibility of them chipping. though the paint on finish on the graphite colored ones does seem stronger then the original white and black painted ones they offered. I think they have a better method now for the painted ones than the very first painted one I got

yes, I like working with the graphite ones...they have exact the color I wanted :) A photo will be shown soon...but actually I am waiting for some rings ^^

Does anybody have an idear how I can get the project together at the backside? I assume that a "normal" scale armor is not so figur-fitting like the one at the picture right? I wonder how I should get it over my body at the end...

Edited by Ahlundae

So...the front side of my armor is almost finished (see attached photo)...but I have problems with the sides and especially with the backside. The sides are closed with scales, but now I´ve got the problem that it´s too large at the backside (it starts to bulge)...but if I put some scales off to make it tighter, I can´t get into it again ^^

Maybe one of you has got an idea about this problem?

29060335_1881304168611291_6951590172417713666_o.thumb.jpg.36a41d19ea757ab867890b57da1355ef.jpg

You can get a little sneaky with it. Up one side leave out a column of scales, leaving a slit part way up from the bottom, then "stabilize" it with rings. Use the rings to run a lace on that side so that you can tie it closed once it's been put on.

This also allows you to use expansions and contractions to be a more accurate fit, but still get the thing on ;)

Hey Rob,

Thank you so much...I will try it :D But how do I use rings to stabilisation at the sides? Do I put them trough the rings at the side or through the scales?

There are a few ways you can do it.

When you remove that single column of scales, your 'new' edge scales will be left with three rings; two lower and one upper. Attach another ring to the two lower rings of one scale and to the single upper ring of the scale below.

If this does not do the job, you can do a column of full 4 in 1 with the scales. Assuming you added that new ring mentioned above, thread another ring through that ring, and onto the scale below. That scale will now have four rings attached to it. That fifth ring will now be linking two lower rings of the scale above to two upper rings of the scale below. 

With either method, you can simply run your cord or string up through the outer rings of the scales. 

On a side note: If you need to stabilize a straight, bottom row of scales, add the two lower rings onto the last row of scales. Then link them with another ring all the way across, just like you were making 4 in 1 mail. 

If you haven't seen it, here is a link to a basic guide on TRL's scales I made some time ago. Stabilizing the edges is covered near the end of it.

https://sites.google.com/site/thehappybarbarianhordelands/scale-tutorial

Cheers Paladin,

Thanks for the response :) Sounds good!! And also thanks for the Link...I think it will help me.

Best regards

If you are always going to wear the cape and will have someone to help you dress, a zipper could work.

This is a piece I've been working on.

scale_bodice_rear.jpg.08bbd9f4a5731d95622862691062aea4.jpg