Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roxyoursocks

Need help with women's scale shirt

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm a scale mail newbie working on a cosplay project, and I could use some help! I've attached some screenshots of what I'm making. I'll be making a few adjustments to make it easier: the neckhole will end below the neck instead of going up on the neck like a collar, and I'm omitting the ridge-thing on the back and the leather bands down on the arms. I'm also thinking I'll have to have it open in the back and zip or lace closed in order to make it relatively form-fitting and still able to put on.

5a189eb34b1da_DragonAge_Inquisition_20170608162413.thumb.jpg.c1d9aa017e5e9b36f9b2cf56e48496e4.jpg5a189ebaaf37d_DragonAge_Inquisition_20170608162436.thumb.jpg.abbf223ac3b6a0ef04327c9cc79d2349.jpg5a189ec06c167_DragonAge_Inquisition_20170608162454.thumb.jpg.6b97377485e8add42687ca25df2263ef.jpg

I've got all my scales and rings (shiny copper anodized aluminum large scales and 16g 5/16" aluminum rings) and have started working on this (so far, just the bottom sections that hang down and don't require any complicated patterning), but I'm running into a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to from searching the internet and this forum. Here are my questions so far:

1) From the pictures I've seen, it looks like people usually include chain mail sections under the armpits for mobility, instead of just using scales. My scale shirt is for cosplay purposes, so appearance is much more important than functionality. I could live without being able to lift my arms over my head, but I do want to be able to move. Is it necessary to include chain mail sections? If so, how do I decide how big to make them? Will I be totally unable to move my arms if I don't do this? Are there other ways of accommodating for movement?

2) I haven't been able to find any patterns for scale shirts, and what little information and examples I have been able to find are scale shirts for men. I imagine I'll have to make some significant adjustments to fit my proportions (40-30-40), since I want it to be fairly form-fitting, but I'm not sure how to go about this. If anyone has any resources that might help, especially regarding where and how many contractions to include, I'd appreciate it!

3) I'm planning on making a leather trim around the neckline and the shoulders (as pictured), but I wasn't planning on lining the rest of it. Is that OK, or does scale armor need to be lined to sit properly?

I have been using this tutorial (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnx0aGVoYXBweWJhcmJhcmlhbmhvcmRlbGFuZHN8Z3g6MmJiMjM3ODk1ODIxZmFlMA), which is SUPER helpful, but it doesn't answer my more complicated patterning questions. Any advice, references, tutorials, etc. for a project like this would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

You could pick up TRL's scale bra instructions for some ideas on getting the right shape. It looks to me like the shoulder pieces are attached at the front of the piece, but not at the rear. Almost the reverse of a Hoplite Cuirass. If you made it that way you could then support the flared shoulders with something like Worbla. This would let you make the sleeves completely separate from the main body to give better mobility and ease of contruction.

Thanks! I think I will pick up those scale bra instructions, I can use all the help I can get.

From looking at it in-game, I think the shoulders are fully attached - they just don't look like it in the screenshots because of the ridge along the spine. I was planning on flaring out the shoulders and lining them with leather to get them to stay - do you think that would work? So, then, if I were to make the sleeves separate, they would attach to the underside of the shoulder flare, right? But then what happens at the armpits?

Thanks again for your help!

Leather would work, if it's stiff enough to support the weight. From the third pic you could leave the armpits open or also line them with leather. I don't see any chain there and you did say that appearance was more important than functionality. Game armours are rarely designed in a functional manner.