Kemmek

I must be insane (my new inlay project)

The photo is of a 14th century carpet. My housemate, who is a "fine artist" & a digital artist redrew it into something with cleaner lines, so I could import it into IGP. From that I will make a wall hanging.

IGP tells me I will need a few million rings - I hope it is wrong!! I will be doing this in 16g 1/4 anodised aluminium rings, and have estimated it will take me about 4 years.

Karl

carpet.jpg

carpet-rendered.jpg

how big is the original digital image?  the one you posted is only 346x960 or 332,160 pixels/links.  if it really is "a few million" and you're using 16 ga 1/4" links - that's at least $32,100, and unless you're working on it 40 hours a week, i think your estimation of 4 years is wildly optimistic.  if it is really "only" about 330,000 links then you'd "only" be looking at about $3500 and 4 years might be more realistic, working a couple hours/day.

TM, I was more laughing at what IGP was telling me, I do not truly believe it is going to take millions of rings.

The original .png is 1300x3606 pixels so 4,687,800 rings - think I will work on the image first before I order any rings. -laughs-

yeah, the trick is to reduce the image size to a point where it still has all the detail you want without adding any "transition" pixels that add colors you can't get.  you can use photoshop and choose a specific palate of colors that it can use.  just get your digital artist housemate to do it!  ;-)

In thread sized rings .. ok .. 4mil .. sure .. 16g? not a chance
Heh, that would be about 1226 lbs and $57333 and 277 ft long .. approx assuming 1 bag of rings per row .. 13333 rows x 300 wide.
^^ just for fun.

How bigs this thing gonna be ?
8ft?   ..so  8x3

Figure 384 rows x 128 columns = 49152 rings approx at 1/4"

Should be very interesting when finish .. post updates eh ?