Maielstrom

Scalemail Sleeves on Euro 4-1 Hauberk

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm in the midst of building a hauberk and separate coif out of anodized aluminum 12 gauge, 3/8 inch rings, but after messing around with some leftover scales from a dragon sculpture, I'm thinking about swapping out the chain sleeves for scale ones (full arm length) (I have a short sleeve hauberk that I'm coming back to after finishing the coif). However, I've never worked with scales and do not know too much about them (have worked with rings for about 10 years though as jewelry). Is it possible to build a tube sleeve and have it function/be fairly mobile? If so, would building the sleeve out as a sheet then connecting it work okay? Would large scales cause any issues? How well do scales hold up as butted mail with the recommend 16 gauge 5/16 inch rings? Any concerns mixing the ring sizes? With regard to purpose, I'm making this pretty much for display, but do plan to wear it out to the local Faire if I go, so it won't be put under too much stress. (Though I might wear it on my motorcycle to ride out, not sure yet)

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated! Apologies if this exists elsewhere, I couldn't quite find an answer through searching around.

Thanks!

With scales, rolling a sheet into a narrow tube and stitching up the seam is awkward. I'd start at the wrist with a completed circle and work upwards adding more rows and expansions as needed. I'd also either leave the armpit open or switch from scales to maille for that part.

Thank you for the insight! I've been building the sleeve out and did a test seam/wear tonight, it seems to be working out pretty well and I think definitely suits my needs. With regard to the armpit, I have the top part of the sleeve coming in as a triangle which I will attach on the top of the shoulder, so the bottom 3/4 of this segment will be chain moving into full scale just about at the start of the bicep. I found out tonight that I made the forearm much too wide, so I took the seam out and will be readjusting so it fits better. Ended it with a handflower with a half persian 3-in-1 finger band, which is helping to hold everything in place, so I think it's actually coming together pretty okay.