gamefreak2291

Dragonscale Ring Sizing

4 posts in this topic

I'm back to mailing after a many year hiatus.  I'm wanting to jump back into with making some Dragonscale pieces.  This was always my favorite weave.  However when I scaled down in ring size from originally working with 16g 5/16" I was never able to get it working well enough to be much of anything.  Using the appropriate AR 18g 1/4" outer rings and 18g 5/32" inner rings are what I had tried doing. I've only ever been able to make small pieces as it gets too rigid and tight to add anymore to it.  I'm thinking about changing the inner ring size to 19g 5/32', does anyone know if this will allow me to make flexible pieces of Dragonscale?

Yes, that should help a lot. I use 20 GA. 5/32" myself and have no problems.

One thing to note though: TRL's 16 5/16" is now smaller than it was before and might no longer work for Dragonscale. 

In the past I was using I think 16g 5/16" and 18g 3/16".  When I starting buying rings vs making them slowly in my shop I was using 16g 5/16" but very quickly moved down to 18g 1/4" as my standard size since a lot of weaves can make good bracelets/necklaces and various other items in that size.  So I'm gonna order some 19g 5/32" to go inside of my 18g 1/4" and go from there.

funny i have a question about dragonscale ring size too :) i have been using bright aluminum 18g 1/4 outer, and 20g 5/32 inner black, or blue. and it's worked fine.. a bit stiff but still a nice weave for a cuff bracelet. Now i'm trying copper inner same size.. and its too tight after about the 8th row. I vaguely remember a few years ago doing the same thing with copper and finding the same issue.. TRL rings btw. I'm wondering what a good size would be to switch to. I"m not savvy enough to know if i need larger inner rings or larger outer rings to make a slightly looser weave.. and it cant be too loose.. i've seen that and dont like it ;) Any help would be great thanks. i really really want to do the copper inner.