Dusken

Looking for pics of battle damage

7 posts in this topic

I recently completed a chain shirt and have an idea for additional character. I would like to simulate battle damage then patch the holes with red AA rings. My google-fu has come up with bupkis in regards to pics of damaged maille.though.

To be exact, what I'm looking for are pics of a couple slashes and possibly a penetrating stab wound of about 3in (8cm), Now I know that actual riveted maille was very resistant to such actions but I'm not going for a historic look, more of a cosmetic feature. I could build a frame and take a couple whacks at it but my swordplay has only been tested by frisbees and produce.

You're not likely to find pictures of actual original chain that has been damaged by weapons. It was generally either repaired quite quickly, or chopped up and used in other pieces. I would say just do what feels right to you, since you aren't going for historical accuracy anyway. Maybe just throw a Wolverine slash on it and have done?

scratches-clipart-wolverine-claw-6.jpg

KrombopulosMichael likes this

Search Youtube for Skallagrim. He has done various weapon demonstrations on butted and riveted mail; both patches and byrnies, often over padding and/or ballistic gel dummies. In short, while still not truly scientific (which he has both the care and the class to point out), much better than those that simply drape mail over a log, or a wooden stand. You might get some good stills from closeup shots of the aftermath. ThegnThrand is another to look at as well. 

KrombopulosMichael likes this

Lusken, you needn't worry.  With mail, a hole in it is a hole is a hole.  Hole hum.  Very hard to tell, with historic mail shirts etc in museums, holes from hostile or accidental damage from holes from decay, save that decay-holes seem to somewhat concentrate in the skirts and hems.  Can't think why, as they really kind of shouldn't -- is this a case of differential preservation?  An exhibiting bias for mail shirts and pieces that actually have something of a shape if you hang them up or put them on a mannequin?  Quite a few of those old shirts in museums are pretty ragged down near the bottom {eta} yet pretty much intact about the shoulders, with sometimes a bit of tattering on the ends of the sleeves.

Mail's not going to preserve in detail the shape of whatever it was penetrated it -- it won't show a square hole like shooting a crossbow quarrel (a word for its head's square/diamond section) into a helmet, to the  terminal discomfiture of its wearer.  Mail pretty much doesn't have that fineness of resolution.

Edited by Konstantin the Red

On 3/14/2018 at 7:24 AM, Rob MacLennan said:

You're not likely to find pictures of actual original chain that has been damaged by weapons. It was generally either repaired quite quickly, or chopped up and used in other pieces. I would say just do what feels right to you, since you aren't going for historical accuracy anyway. Maybe just throw a Wolverine slash on it and have done?

scratches-clipart-wolverine-claw-6.jpg

This is about as close as I'm going to get it seems. Now I need to fire up IGP and give it a whirl.

Thanks for your help eveyone. As soon as I get it done I'll post pics. 

I do think much of my frustation in finding a solution has been trying to communicate that I plan on a series of inlays that make my shirt look damaged. Armorers want to explain how the damage actually appears and how it behaves, which I understand,