bob_r

scalemail without rings?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am trying to do something with scalemail but without using rings to join them.  Does anyone have any experience or examples of weaving basic bikini/breechcloth type clothing with something other than rings?  When I'm done, there won't be a lot of coverage. :) 

In my tests, braiding the wire lets me put the rings in where I want and hold them in place.  Since the scales are clear plastic, the colored wire does make a nice highlight.  I'm just no sure if that is the best way to go.

I've got some very thin wire that would work, some cotton craft thread, or some clear nylon thread on hand, but would get whatever works.  The nice thing about the cotton thread is that it is softer against skin.  The wire is thin enough that it bends like thread, but too much it breaks.

Thanks!

bob

Eric,

Yes, that is what I had in mind.  The only two problems -- and I use the term loosely -- is that knitting with yarn is a lot less revealing that what I hoped for and what I know about knitting can be written in very large crayon on the back of a very small matchstick. :)  OTOH, the yarn would make a really nice bikini; the soft yarn would guarantee you wouldn't pinch or irritate the skin.

I completely forgot to put in that the scales I have on hand are the clear plastic kind from the ringlord, so I was hoping to make something that showed off the wearer. :)  Here are the kind I've got on hand:

http://theringlord.com/images/products/scales/SCALESM-PC-Clear.jpg.

The heck of it is that I can almost see the solution.  I've gotten very close with wire and thread, but it just doesn't seem to look like I want it to.  I might try a combination of rings and thread and see how that looks.

If I figure something out and get pictures, I'll post them in the appropriate forum.

Thanks,

bob

Well, string anyway.  I have some light purple cotton string from another non-chainmail project and I'll see what that might do.

So here's what I ended up doing.  I drilled holes in the scales to make a different kind of weave.  Much, much looser, but we both like it.  It's tough because I don't have a full studio to create the perfect jig for the scales.  Because they are curved, it is hard for me to make them stay still while I drill the holes.  Through trial and error, lots of error, I found that 4 scales at a time is about as much as I can do. 

I bought a dowel the size of the main hole to help hold things in place, drilled holes in a blank piece of wood and for the main dial and some to hold the sides in place.  Drill one scale as a template and then use the holes as guides and do about 4 at a time.  Sometimes I get cocky and try 6, but always end up ruining them because they slide around under the drill.  I can only use my template so many times because the drill will mess with the holes.  You can see that in the first picture.

If you are trying this, a variable speed drill is a must, because you want to start slow so the scale doesn't move as much.  The nice thing is that the little plastic burrs around the holes just pop off when you rub them with a finger, so the scales are nice and smooth.

The weave is really loose, but that's fine for us.  It's going to take awhile to make the outfit I want, but may post pictures when I'm done with it.  The weave is really easy, but it is boring to make the scales.  Hah!

bob

20180523_060357_sm.jpg

20180523_060432_sm.jpg