Mitchal

What to do with titanium 1/2" 12g rings???

5 posts in this topic

I accidentally bought the 1/2" 12g titanium rings from theringlord when I meant to buy 3/8" to make a hauberk. Completely my fault, and NOT theringlord's as 1/2 is clearly what I ordered, but the 1/2 seems too big for the hauberk I intended to make.

So now I have 10,000 1/2" 12g titanium rings and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I was thinking of selling on Etsy or something similar and wanted some advice on what to make.

I looked around a bit and found some of most popular chainmail projects. The two most popular were a byzantine chain leash for BDSM kind of like a choker collar for dogs, and a byzantine chain necklace with a padlock around the neck that your partner has the key to. A distant third was dice bags for DND and other role playing games. Everything else appeared to be one time custom pieces requested by customers. I also plan on welding the rings together, which I hope gives me an edge in selling them.

Does anyone else have success stories on profitable items to make with 1/2" 12g titanium rings and where to sell them? I'm also willing to just sell the raw rings if anyone wants them. It might be a better deal than theringlord within the continental US since I bought the titanium before the most recent metal tariffs went into effect.

• I've seen hauberks made with 1/2" 12g (aluminum though, not titanium), and it really doesn't look bad at all, especially if it is a large hauberk.   Not very historical looking, but you may find interested people in your local fantasy LARP groups.

(I don't think there are any new tariffs on titanium rings?)

Hmm... As long as I make enough columns of rings so the circumference of the hauberk doesn't expand too much, then the weave should remain pretty dense. I'll try it out and let you know.

As for the tariff, some news sites said steel and aluminum, but others included titanium too. But do you know if the tariff only applies to raw materials, or would buying a stainless steel pot from Canada cost more to import to the United States too? I do know UPS had me pay an additional charge to receive the titanium rings from theringlord, but I can't say for sure now whether or not that was an import tax or something else.

According to what Bernice posted on the Facebook page, the tariffs are only on steel and aluminium wire, no rings should be affected.

UPS does seem to like to invent fees whenever they feel like it though...

So I got around to making some test pieces. The left is stainless steel 3/8" 12g and the right is titanium 1/2" 12g. The weave is European 4 in 1, and both pieces use the same number of rings. As you can see, the titanium piece takes up quite a bit more space. Not too sparse though. One big plus is a hauberk will take much fewer titanium rings to make, which means more affordable for people to buy. (Gotta watch out with the price difference in stainless steel versus titanium though.) The titanium is way lighter too. I already made a stainless steel hauberk with the rings in the picture, and without sleeves weighs about 30 lbs. Using titanium and the larger rings will make a big difference in the weight.

One thing I am worried about is while the rings in the stainless piece are much stiffer so that the butted ends of the rings don't move around, the titanium rings are more springy and the butted ends can move around a bit without much force. In other words, the titanium rings are not staying aligned as easily as the stainless steel rings are. This makes me think I'll have to weld the titanium rings so the sharp cut on each end of the joint doesn't become exposed. Hopefully not though.

Anyone have any relevant wisdom to share? Should I worry about the sharp ends of the titanium rings moving out of their flush position? Anyone with a 1/2" 12g hauberk picture to share? Etc...

To Iiriel: Well that's too bad for me then. Buying titanium rings from theringlord will be much less of a hassle than buying from me, especially if there is no price difference between myself and theringlord. Oh well.

IMG_20180703_174407.jpg