beezu999

possibly trading sheets of chainmail for more rings

the idea would be the way you have the person that makes the cloth for clothing.  in turn the cloth is taken to someone else that turns it into clothes.  then the clothes maker takes the clothes to a  place that sells the clothes.  I like sitting down and spending a ridiculous amount of time on things.  I've made some interesting things in the last 6 months but this sheet of chainmail 3/16" 16 gauge is pretty cool, flexible yet strong, still the bright aluminum  so dunno if it can take a sword strike but to say I made a nice big rectangle of this stuff, in turn all I wanted was the amount of rings that went into it, maybe 2 pounds and then took about 20 hours of sitting down to make it, so maybe 10 more pounds of the same stuff so I can make an even bigger rectangle of it. so I make the cloth which goes to someone else that turns it into a thing that eventually goes somewhere and gets sold.  I don't really think about the money part in chainmail, it's a fun hobby but to say maybe there's someone out there that had ten or so pounds of a certain type of ring and wanted to trade for a 2 pound sheet of assembled chainmail made of that ring, or even a ten pound sheet at some point, I could just be the guy in the background making the large sheet of something that would eventually turn into a suit of armor which someone can take the large piece and turn it into the suit of armor and skip the countless hours getting to that point.  I think overall I'm probably up to being able to weave 2+ pounds a week now of these 3/16" rings which take some strength to bend, could probably do 4+ pounds of rings into a sheet of something with larger rings smaller gauge depending on what people wanted.

even the idea to say I could make a ten foot chain of full Persian weave that in turn went to someone that cut the thing into smaller pieces that turned into bracelets and necklaces, so I'd just be happy being the guy in the background making the base items that get turned into things getting paid in rings to make more stuff.  and on an interesting note, the tutorials to make full Persian show this headache of getting it started, if you just use a basic 4 in 1 weave, three rows of rings and fold them over all you have to do is add the 4th ring to the edge to make the full Persian without the headache of trying to weave them directly into a chain from the start.

5bf1c556d389a_Picture23.jpg.c5efa6e921adfce2c82ff5d566c697cd.jpg5bf1c555d5c43_Picture22.jpg.cb8a09ebf280163d6fb0121af87e9df6.jpg5bf1c553a1be4_Picture21.jpg.2c6787276d81e2da2fa77398519c67ca.jpg

I guess mainly this would revolve more around someone that makes that rings.  currently paying like $30 for a pound of bright aluminum nobody would trade $300 or more in rings for this rectangle but someone that had the tools to make the ring from base wire rod might be interested in trading for a rectangle of chainmail.  would be interesting to take a  bunch of different colored rings, and something as simple as a rectangle where the colors weaved a picture in the sheet and then you frame it and put it on the wall like cross stitching with different colored strings.  or even something nuts like someone had a 5 gallon bucket of rings sitting around from the days they were into the hobby of chainmail but might have grown out of it and I could just take half of that and make a giant piece of something and get to keep the rest.

this strip of chainmail was the latest thing, a simple 4 in 1 strip of 5/16" 16 gauge and then the 3/16" 16 gauge down the center of each row of rings and 2 of the orange colored small rings on the edges for more strength holding together, looks kind of cool so could be a belt around the waist if it had a buckle type thing attached to it, throw in 2 bracelets, anklets, the choker necklace made of the same pattern and sew all those pieces into some fancy dress for a woman and basically enhances a dress with a complete set of strips of this on it.

5bf1d5f6b98b8_Picture24.jpg.47c3d018cd77eef71d4b167b4babfb9e.jpg

of course theres the simple chainmail stick figure guy, just stick him on a necklace through the head and when you're on the dance floor he dances with you swinging arms and legs around.  a simple full Persian weave for the body and smaller pieces of full Persian connecting at the joints with a circle of same stuff for the head.  I think I've probably given away over a hundred of these so far different color patterns and people love these, put them on their backpacks on the zipper or attach to their purses or the obvious necklace.  to evolve this thing it would be like putting a thin wire in all body pieces and you could mold the thing into different positions so he's sitting with arms out and upwards holding business cards or arms forwards and connected like a pencil holder so you take something that was just decoration and give it a practical application where it's useful for doing other things.  could beef up parts of it, bigger rings for the body, maybe charms of hands and feet attached to the arms and legs.

5bf1d7386ff2c_Picture25.jpg.6350cd25e4fe5dd524c96a9ac5d9f44d.jpg

I just figure I could spend a bunch of time cranking out a bunch of things like an assembly line of things that someone wants and they would just keep feeding the assembly line more and more rings of different sizes so it can just keep perpetually making a bunch of things and then start making new stuff that the person would just give a picture of what it is and a basic step by step process of how to make it. 

so to come back to this project that actually started back in maybe may of 2018 picking up the idea of chainmail as a hobby, these are 3/16" 16 gauge rings, took over 40,000 rings to make.  in the start of this post back in November when it was a 2 pound rectangle, pretty much grew to a 3 pound rectangle by start of December, ordered 5 more pounds and grew to a 8 pound sheet of chainmail for the lower half of vest done and some upper vest, and then another pound added to finish off the silver rings, added gold trim to edge lining for cool effect and have yet to see anything where chainmail really has a color scheme.  that strip of chainmail from earlier picture in this post turned into a belt to keep the front opening of vest closed together, kind of like a karate outfit.  I ran out of gold rings and figure this is done, did what it was supposed to do, maybe an artistic appeal to it like one day someone comes across this and tells the story of the guy that went completely berserk and gave up right near the end of the other arm opening lol.  and of course you leave those clips that hook over the shoulders so when it's just sitting around you can unhook the shoulder straps, roll it up, use the belt around the edges of the roll like a scroll and store away instead of having a flat blob of metal taking up space.

I thought metal clothing as an idea for wearing when you are out would be an interesting idea but this vest being 9 pounds if you wear it like a normal shirt all the time it would probably eventually compress your spine and cause back injuries from the weight.  so the only way to really evolve this, to say someone like metal clothing to go out in when they have a night out, it would really have to be lighter to make sense.  obviously even just normal chainmail made out of rings for a full shirt, long sleeves and possibly hood treated like a jacket would weight maybe 4 to 6 pounds which is probably a lot for a clothing item.  I don't think there's such a thing as say it looks like metal 16 gauge wire which I guess is spun around something, cut and that's how you get the rings, but if that 16 gauge wire had a lightweight flexible plastic core so it brings the weight of the thing made down to around 30% then this vest would only weigh roughly 3 pounds which is similar to wearing a trench coat maybe.  but 16 gauge wire exists and someone came to a point they figured out how to make rings, so that wire has a practical application being wire that someone else used to make chainmail out of.  but even though there is wire coated in rubber or plastic on the outside, somebody would probably have to invent wire that is plastic core that has a practical use in the world but ends up turning into rings and as long as the plastic in the material isn't brittle or the metal too thin and weak to where it cracks when bent into rings that would maybe inspire what looks and feels and shines like chainmail but doesn't weigh what normal chainmail weights.

near the end of this project it got more and more annoying adding rings, the weight of the object itself made it more tedious having to lay the stuff and roll it up in certain positions to even get the right angle to add rings, not to mention if you add these rings to close a seam of two pieces together it is a royal pain in the *** trying to close the ring given the plier tips aren't small enough to even get between the other rings to make a solid grab on the ring being bent.  oh, also, because of 16 gauge wire and smaller rings you grab the ring with the pliers in each hand, occasional the ring was weaker and breaks so your arms slip and the arm bending the edge forward mashes into the sheet of chainmail, or just the pliers slipping and to know what that feels like, just get a cheese grater and that edge with the smaller bumps, just kind of rub your knuckles against it, you should only go through that maybe 1 every hundred rings.  near the end as well it was only about 100 rings per hour being added at a fast pace, maybe someone else out there can do it quicker, but at 8 hours a day this takes roughly 2 months full time with 10 days off lol.  this is the one and only metal shirt i'll ever make, I think everybody that gets into chainmail eventually makes the upper body piece, just not so much to this degree lol.  and as far as durability, I would guess since normal butted chainmail isn't that hard to rip apart, or even riveted chainmail with how much force it would take to thrust a weapon through it to penetrate the material.  this stuff is like trying to rip apart a rug lol.

but anyhow, since this is the trading section, I have roughly $310 in rings invested into this thing, at $30 per pound silver and $100 per pound gold more or less, say 9.75 pounds bright aluminum anodized rings 3/16" 16 gauge, maybe .4 pounds gold colored anodized aluminum rings same size.  for the sake of labor and the learning curve if I ever did make another one of these, if it was truly a rare object that either this is the only one of in the world of this dimension or there aren't really that many out there if I'm not the only one thinking this stuff up, I could say 400 hours for this thing, I would drop it down to 200 hours given I mastered how to put these together quicker by hand, so for the low low price of say I dunno, $2,500, I don't really care about the money part, maybe more like 65 pounds of the bright aluminum rings and 5 pounds of the gold colored rings, same stuff as this is made out of so I could make maybe 5 more complete vests which then would take to a renaissance fair and figure people would pay that much easy, but dunno.  still, 400 hours in the making, was a fun project anyhow.

5c3785f8dc776_thumbnail_image21.thumb.jpg.f5d32d8b2de75949fd2a7e736fe49a48.jpg5c3786087382e_thumbnail_image32.thumb.jpg.c1c1eff46e417696f7c656e28c51810c.jpg5c37860e9024c_thumbnail_image11.thumb.jpg.05e6355e4c23bbb9fdde8d72c878e783.jpg