broodizt

18k gold jump rings-Buying pre made rings or making them myself with ringinator or some other professional jump ring maker?

I would like to make chainmaille jewelry in solid 18k gold, Is it better to buy these rings pre-made, they are sooooo expensive, or is making them myself with something like a professional jumpring maker like a ringinator a cheaper and better alterntive?  Also, If I did make them myself would anyone know where to get solid18k rose gold 20g wire?

Thanks

Gold is ridiculously expensive now, few jeweller use 18k.  I don't know of anyone who sells pre-made 18k solid gold rings, but I guess someone does as you are commenting on the price (here they have 10k solid gold, I guess 18k would be almost double the price), plus those would be very soft and probably make very fragile jewelry unless you intend to weld each ring.

You could probably save a bit on the price by making them by hand, but it still would be very expensive. I would not dare to feed gold wire into a Ringinator, I would be worried about wasting even a little bit of wire.

It will be very expensive either way, but I'd say make them. 1) You can better ensure the quality of the finished ring, 2) buying wire and making rings yourself tends to be cheaper, 3) it can be rather difficult sometimes to estimate how many rings you are going to need and the last thing you'll want is to come short and have to buy more gold,and  4) you'll have a greater range of ring sizes. As for who carries 18k rose gold, 20ga: go to Pasternak Findings. They're a supply company in Israel and are excellent. I buy all my large quantity silver orders from them. They have free international shipping for orders of $500 and greater.

just since you appear to be new, i want to add that not only will you need to solder/weld the links as liriel indicated, but also any amount of weight - be it small, sustained weight or an only-slightly-less-small jerk - will seriously warp the links.  the only thing i'd even consider making with them might be some small earrings or MAYBE a low AR necklace.