TitaniumMithril

tapestry project

i could try to talk this up, but it is what it is.  for better or worse, i decided to attempt a project that would push the boundaries - of reason if nothing else.  20ga 7/64" AA.  below's the first 10%.  i'll try to update monthly.  if you've got any questions on the process, just let me know; otherwise, enjoy the ride.

zHGahxA.jpg

thanks jeff!  i found the tapestry i wanted to reproduce, put it in photoshop and used an indexed color palate that matched available colors from trl, took the resulting image, and ran it through IGP.  i took those results and ran them through a program i wrote myself to make a pattern to follow in the format i wanted.

here's what life looks like:

WAI5zKK.jpg

So the program you wrote takes the image and converts it to text? also where did you get a color palate that matched TRL?

yes, it converts it to use a single letter for each link, 'a' for the most common, 'b' for the second most common, etc.  it also converts the pattern to use the "speed-weaving" method of creating a double-length 2-in-1 chain and adding it with a connecting row.  i prefer this method of weaving straight E4-1, but ymmv.

i created a custom color palate by grabbing the colors off of trl's images.  i actually overestimated how dark "black ice" was and ended up sending it back and having them make me a custom batch of "hematite."  but that's been the only major hiccup.  

I didn't know they did custom batches, how many rings do you need to buy for them to do that. I am going to making an inlay that requires a dark gray and depending on the level of color difference between black ice, bright aluminum, and silver anodized aluminum, black ice may or may not suffice.

that's entirely up to them, so you'd have to contact them directly about it.  i ordered 144 bags of that color, but their decision may include other criteria (like how busy they are, total order amount, order history, customer tenure, etc.). 

black ice is a light to medium grey - maybe just a shade darker than titanium (but shiny, of course), if you're familiar with that.  there is almost no difference between unanodized bright aluminum and silver anodized aluminum; i would not use the former on an inlay due to properties of uncoated aluminum.  look at the description at the top of the bright aluminum links for more info (here).

thanks all!  my plan right now is to sew the top row and each side with a thick thread to long loops of fabric through which i can run a rod, resulting in what hopefully looks like a normal tapestry.  then build a frame (should be about 5'x7') that will hold said rods and can hang from a wall and/or ceiling.  how well it will all hold the weight will be interesting to see!

On 2/20/2019 at 5:03 PM, TitaniumMithril said:

thanks all!  my plan right now is to sew the top row and each side with a thick thread to long loops of fabric through which i can run a rod, resulting in what hopefully looks like a normal tapestry.  then build a frame (should be about 5'x7') that will hold said rods and can hang from a wall and/or ceiling.  how well it will all hold the weight will be interesting to see!

I recently purchased some 20g 7/64" rings for an inlay project and have promptly gone back to 16g 1/4" rings instead as I'm more comfortable working with that size. I bring this up because I hadn't realize just how small 20g 7/64" rings are. that fact that you make a 5'x7' project using rings of that size is equal parts impressive and insane. Keep up the good work!

i won't argue with that evaluation.  😉  it's not quite "micro-mail" in my mind, but it's getting there.  you do get used to it after a while - unless you have some physical limitations (eye site, clumsy fingers, etc.) - and then going back to bigger is weird.  

looks like i missed a 40% picture - i'll try to throw up 50% in a couple weeks.