Minera

New User Thread

Hey all, I have been dabbling in the realm of chainmail for approximately a year.  I made small stuff so far, and it is quite fun.  I look forward being a part of the community!

I am trying to find out weather or not they have large size plastic scales or do they just have small? I need large for the project I'm starting and I don't want to order the wrong thing by mistake! anyone know?

Bernice said in the Scales restock thread recently that large clear and black plastic scales will be here very soon. Coloured and glow in the dark will be in small only for the time being.

Great fun getting to understand the craft. TRL's brilliance in choosing steel (SS+BS 16g-5/16 in my set) for the beginners experimentation kits has proven perfect. I will definitely be proceeding in my venture to create a "suit of armor" in the very near future. In the meantime I am using my practice with Euro 4 in 1 to make classic cast iron/grill grate scrubbers for my friends. They are a great gift (cost upwards of $50 USD here in the Florida Keys). The steel is nice because it offers you some idea of what it takes to manipulate a harder metal. Just too much fun.

Post Script: Anyone can feel free to contact me.

After a couple of trips to the Texas Ren Fest, I decided to look into learning the craft to see if I can make some for my wife. Lots of good info here.

I have been gone long enough to be considered new.   Lets see since I was last one here I've had 3 different jobs, a second boy child, a divorce and pretty soon I'll be engaged again (I hope).  Hopefully I won't fade into the black again.

I was hoping someone could give me some insight. I am in the process of buying my first sword. Im looking at Katana's and I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between steel and 1060 carbon steel when it comes to swords. Or what someone would recommend?

Not so new to chainmail or TRL but new to these forums. Hi everyone! I got started chainmailing a few years ago but burned out on it quickly pushing myself into micro-maille. I picked this back up again last spring and have been very active.

Edited by Studio Castile

Fairly new to mail right now. I started small chain and scale jewelry projects after learning more about jump rings when creating woodturned jewelry. It's opened up a whole new set of skills for me, as well as products for a small part time business.

Howdy....new guy here...mostly a lurker but decided to join for backorder updates and to see what others out there are making. A lot of cool stuff.

Hello friends!

I used to be a frequenter around here years ago... but had set down my pliers when my wife and I had our first child, now he's in school and I have some free time again.  I didn't exactly pick up where I left off, I don't make as much chainmail stuff as I used to.  I've moved onto copper bowls, and hopefully mugs soon.

Had to create a new account like a lot of people, I'm sure with how long ago it was that I was around here the database was getting more than a little clunky so the admins did some house cleaning.

Just getting into this again. Been years since I've done anything involving chain and/or scale. Currently, it is my objective to make a three piece suit and tie of armor. Currently, I am just getting used to working scales again, which is what I intend to make my double-breasted blazer from. Chain mail will be used for the vest and tie, and heavy leather for the shirt and slacks. Of course, I am going to journal the whole thing, but only after I get accustomed to making armor again.

Greetings.. 

As per proper introduction, my name is Joshua, and I just so happened to stumble upon this little number on my hunt for proper gear...

Honestly, and originally, what caught my interest was a post from 08'. Supposedly someone here was planning on training others in armed combat. As quickly followed upon proper investigation, the idea of what caught my original interest expanded. 

I just wish to express my interest in basically everything that I have seen so far, and hopefully I will gracefully fit in. 😊

gee its been so long I cant even navigate the site any more.

Hi my name is Dennis (screen name Kilroy) and I've been a chainmaille addict (off and on) since 1970.  Back then I had to make my own rings and the work was pretty limited to hauberks for SCA guys.

Now we have lotsa weaves, techniques including inlays, and every kind of ring or support tools imaginable.

thank you RingLord

I've been gone a few years, but I'm back now (and retired)..

I-m gonna go see if the facebook room is working.

Edited by Kilroy

Good morning! My name is Jamison. I will be ordering my first batch of jump rings (AA 18g 3/16 Black and 16g 1/4 Green) this evening for my first chainmail project: a black celtic cross accented in green. I'm looking forward to it and to being a part of the community. . . 

Howdy!  Still in the process of lurking.  Thinking about trying to make something simple (earrings?) before I try to jump into what brought me here in the first place..  Still overwhelmed!

Just had a quick question: If I buy a kit with instructions from TRL and complete it, am I allowed to sell the completed piece(s) so long as I give credit to the originator of the instructions?

Thank you.

From an intellectual property point of view, the instructions are copyrighted, so you shouldn't resell those, of course.  But a copyright does not extend to what you built following the instructions.  (Analogy Ikea does not own my kitchen table, even if I built it following their instructions 😉 )

That thing is yours. Ethically, you should not say you designed it.  But you can certainly say you made it (it's true), and I see no reason why you could not sell it.