Sign in to follow this  
CJSolo

Rings and Pliers

Hey all. Not sure if this is really the exact place to throw out this question but... here goes.

Recently, I bought a bunch of jump rings to go with the tiny ionized scales., 20g 7/36 I believe. I had hoped to get them as split rings, but they werent' there. The thing that I'm running into is that I opened a bag to see if I'd be able to work them with my pliers. It doesn't work very well. lol Any suggestions on what to use instead?

What pliers do you have? You will need something like our Xurons (any of them will work b/c all of them have the tiny jaw) or the Maillers Choice pliers to work rings that small.

We don't make split rings for tiny scales. The rings will say in the description if they are split rings; otherwise they are butted rings in saw cut or machine cut. At that size they are all saw cut.

Neither of those, I'm guessing. They have the hook on one part of the jaw with the groove in it. They were the pair recommended back when I started working chainmail a good handful of years ago. They've worked for everything I've done thus far, I've not worked with scales/rings this tiny in the past. Can you link me to the products?

If you have the split rings pliers, those really only work for split rings.  You will need new "regular" pliers for butted rings (two, of course).  I like the "Knipex Watchmakers Plier - Narrow Nose" for small rings.  I prefer pliers without a spring, but the RingLord brand chain nose pliers work fine if you like springs.

Though chain nose pliers in general, superb at making chain links for necklaces etcetera, don't have the leverage flatnose pliers do for twisting links open or closed.  They're even less adequate for working in steel, where you need sufficiently powerful leverage -- don't fear to use slipjoint regular ole pliers on steel links.

On 04/01/2019 at 1:00 AM, Konstantin the Red said:

Though chain nose pliers in general, superb at making chain links for necklaces etcetera, don't have the leverage flatnose pliers do for twisting links open or closed.  They're even less adequate for working in steel, where you need sufficiently powerful leverage -- don't fear to use slipjoint regular ole pliers on steel links.

I wonder if you noticed the size of wire he is using... 20g (it's for the tiny scales).  For that size of wire, even titanium does not need much leverage... ;-)