RezMail

Byzantine color combo ideas.

When I was making bracelets for a charity event, I took my colour inspiration from the colours used by various motorcycle manufacturers. Given that it was a charity motorcycle ride, they were pretty popular.

Honda: red & white
Kawasaki: green & black
Yamaha: yellow & black
Suzuki: blue & white

I love making byzantine (although I didn't at first). I would recommend not only mixing up the ring colors but the order of the rings as it can drastically change the appearance. I'm at work at the moment so I will post pictures as examples later.

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

I love making byzantine (although I didn't at first). I would recommend not only mixing up the ring colors but the order of the rings as it can drastically change the appearance. I'm at work at the moment so I will post pictures as examples later.

Cool, looking forward to seeing them, thx

Sorry for not replying for a while, but here are some of the ones I've done. I'll try to take more pics of the more creative ones later.

So the picture with the red, blue, silver, and a bit of gold is a Byzantine keychain approximation of 00 Gundam from the series of the same name. The light blue and royal blue is to represent MegaMan colors. IMG_20181205_204358.thumb.jpg.b2a137d38c3abc2a70871f4f9c44a0ec.jpg

My max file size is too small to post about photo directly, so I'll try to upload it to Photobucket or flickr or something to post more later.

Also my connecters are 3 rings instead of 2 because the first teacher I had showed me Byzantine with 18g 5/16" rings with 2 rings in the connectors and I really didn't like it but my second teacher (who was a chainmail merchant who learned by studying chainmail pieces in museums) showed me to use 3 rings for the connectors and thicker smaller rings and it holds the sharp much better. So most of the Byzantine I do now uses 3 ring connectors and 16g 1/4" rings.

in general you want to use as many connecting-rings as makes the pattern hold its shape, but the (my) problem with using more than two is that the middle connecting-rings float around a little because the ends aren't held tight, which also makes it lose it's shape a bit.  so in general i use links with as small an ar as possible so two connecting-rings work.

I used some 20ga 7/64" Ti in green and brown with some SS (not sure on ga/ID) to trap beeds that turned out pretty nicely (at least in my opinion).

chakra byz.jpg