KingOfShrapnel

Color pattern help needed

Hi, sorry if a topic like this exists, I haven't had any luck finding help as it's tricky to figure out how to word it.

I'm creating a dice bag for my husband, just standard 4-1 weave, and he has requested a design built in with a different color of rings. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any resources that helps plan out a design kinda like those crochet design websites or do I basically just have to play around and figure it out myself? He just wants UNSC added to it, so I feel like the most difficult part would be to figure out the slopes in the U, S, and C, but yeah I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips before I really get into it. I'm pretty new to all this, but I feel confident I have the actual weaving technique down already, it's just the incorporating different colors in an intentional pattern.

If I was adding lettering to a dice bag, I would do the letters in an rectangular strip, with no expansions and contractions, then close the strip on itself to form a cylinder, and add the top and bottom of the bag (maybe in the same colour as the letters).  Top can be straight (drawstring bags open better with no contractions at the top, bottom can be rapidly contracting or an actual flat circle.

if you don't care about how things expand and contract when it "stretches", you can just use any drawing app (e.g. ms paint), zoom way in, and each pixel will be a link.  so, for example, if your dice bag is going to be 12 rows tall and 30 rows around, just make an image that's 12x30 pixels, and fill in pixels to make your lettering fit - or even use the text option and let the program do it.  this took about 1 minute: 

Untitled.bmp

You can also download igp (irregular grid painter) and upload your bmp into the program to see what it would look like in Chainmail. That is what i use for most of my inlays. There is also a forum post for how to install and use the program.

I use the heck out of IGP for my inlays, and it's been a huge life saver for getting them to look how I want them to.  I'll normally use paint to do the intial design for anything, and do any fine tuning with IGP.  Attached is an example of a completed inlay and a pattern that I've just recently ordered the rings to complete.

HK Coaster.jpg

MS3 Coaster.jpg

this is a bit of a tangent (though the op hasn't responded at all anyway), but i've seen a few others make them too and am curious: what do you do with round inlays?  is it like... a coaster?

On 1/24/2019 at 12:13 PM, Jeff said:

I saw your round inlay of the Volante Design logo (you beat me to it). It was really good. 

Honestly, didn't even notice where the V came from when I pulled it from google.  I was just looking for an easy and good looking V for one of my Marines to build a personalized coaster for him.