Jeff

tiny inlay

Hey guys, I really enjoy making inlays and generally use 4 in 1 with 16g 1/4" rings; however in order to get a lot of detail, you need to make it pretty big, which I'm fine with; however I started to wonder recently, what size rings would you recommend to get a similar density but at a smaller size? I was thinking of 20g 1/8" rings but I don't know if that would work or not. any ideas? also I only have the standard pliers and have worked with small rings previously, would you recommend a different tool?

you just want something with the same aspect ratio, and it will "behave" the same way (i.e. essentially you'll need to stretch it the same percentage to get it to look correct); so from that standpoint: yes, 20g 1/8" ID rings will be comparable to 16g 1/4" (both with ar 4.0).  that said, if you look at my tapestry project (here), i opted for 7/64" as suggested by theringlord so that i could be sure it would hold its own weight, and i wouldn't have to deal with the stretch quite as much.  so i'd say it depends on what your end-goal is.

as for tools, you'll definitely want something with finer control.  i use the xuron short nose pliers (kx475 at theringlord) for 19g and lower and they work well.  one broke on me once, but i contacted them, and they shipped me a new one for free.

Edited by TitaniumMithril

I've actually made the same inlay in those two ring sizes.  It does give a similar look.

I like the knipex watchmakers narrow nose pliers for small rings.

20190125_121004.jpg

6 hours ago, liriel said:

I've actually made the same inlay in those two ring sizes.  It does give a similar look.

I like the knipex watchmakers narrow nose pliers for small rings.

20190125_121004.jpg

What time sizes for you use for these?

Most of my smaller inlays I use 20ga 7/64", and stick with 16ga 1/4" when making dice bags.  although I can manage to get decent inlays done on my dice bags, I'm particularly fond of using the 20ga 7/64" for inlays.  Like with anything pixelated, smaller pixal means better quality image.  I find the Knipex Narrow Nose Watchmakers Pliers work best for me when using those little rings.