Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Interesting Inlay Idea, don't know if it would work

So I recently had an idea to try and recreate the post impressionist style of Georges Seurat. He painted using dots of color rather than brush strokes, so when viewed far it looks normal but viewed close up and it would be a bunch of colors. would using a small ring with a one ring grid lines and colored rings of four or nine squares be able to reproduce a similar effect? anyone have any thoughts? I have a bunch of projects on my to do list so I won't be able to even attempt something like this but was curious what other's thought of the idea.

I think any chainmail inlay is already pretty close to pointilism.  If you really want to have a look that is closer to round dots, I'd suggest using a japanese 4 in 1 or 6 in 1 weave, with the "center" rings being your coulourful dots and the "linking" rings being a uniform background colour, maybe black.

That's not a bad idea. I understand chainmail is already pretty close based on how the rings connect but they also aren't at the same time. doing a japanese weave is an interesting idea though.