Sign in to follow this  
Pbarron88

Rings/Scales for Kid's Armour?

I'm very new to all of this but my son wants to go as some sort of dragon rider to a convention we're attending. We drew up his costume which includes a couple shoulder pieces made with scales as well as a possible glove or arm piece. I've been searching around and since he's only 8, we decided medium Anodized Aluminum would probably best. (Please correct me if there's a better material to use.)

My question is what size rings do you believe would be best to use for these and about how many scales/rings should I order for a young child? Shoulders will probably be around a 6"x 6"(x2) area and arm around a 7"x 6". I will definitely order extra just in case, just need a general idea of what I'm looking at. Thank you so much!

Aluminum's right -- shoulder pieces are also the simplest of the things you're considering.

What an arm-thing wants, particularly in the form of a bracer, is probably something to hold it up, in place on the arm.  Ultimately, that is likely to be your eight-year-old's shoulder, preadolescent arms being what they are, to where even including neoprene rings for elasticity might not get the job done.  A smaller bracelet wouldn't be such a problem of suspension, and neoprene rings in the assembly would actually work well, so he can put it on over his hand.

Are we thinking Pern especially, or something less specific?

See about area calculation formulas for an idea how many rings -- I know the M.A.I.L. site has one.  They call it a "ring calculator."  Failing that, I'd just err big -- and assume with extra rings around, the two of you can come up with something fun to assemble with the leftovers, so it wouldn't be money wasted.

I've never done scale, but from what I read here, the number of scales and the number of rings are both about equal until you find you have to do something only with the rings to make the piece work, like in the armpits of a sleeved scale shirt.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:11 AM, Konstantin the Red said:

Aluminum's right -- shoulder pieces are also the simplest of the things you're considering.

What an arm-thing wants, particularly in the form of a bracer, is probably something to hold it up, in place on the arm.  Ultimately, that is likely to be your eight-year-old's shoulder, preadolescent arms being what they are, to where even including neoprene rings for elasticity might not get the job done.  A smaller bracelet wouldn't be such a problem of suspension, and neoprene rings in the assembly would actually work well, so he can put it on over his hand.

Are we thinking Pern especially, or something less specific?

Thank you. I was able to get in touch with a friend who's husband works with scales and I got the basics figured out and ordered. Since he does have such tiny arms, it would be difficult to get a piece fit and stay secure. My friend suggested crocheting a glove with scales but we will see and experiment once everything gets here. I do want to ensure he can handle it since he's so young and though he finds it exciting now, once layers are added he may get annoyed and unhappy with it. I ordered enough for us to play with for now.