Sign in to follow this  
Bladeturner

Stitching two pieces of scalemail together

This is my first time trying this, so I'm coming here for advice from those who've done it before.  I'd like to avoid the most common mistakes if possible.  In the attached picture, I got a large piece meant to go from the center of the chest (the tapered end) to the edge of the arm.  I've done that edge in a two scales down for every one over.  The smaller piece goes from the edge of the shoulder to the middle of the arm line.  (this follows Lorenzo's design and pictures.)  I'm wondering about the best way to stitch these two pieces together to get the most smooth looking seam.  (phone pic, sorry about the weird color grade)

scale_preseam_back_1.thumb.jpg.a653f88c07569911490ee1ef1a844363.jpgscale_preseam_front_1.thumb.jpg.bd866a51acb592347f245f1d37b83306.jpg

You should probably just stick with the pattern that I posted. To the best of my knowledge nobody outside of my factory has ever done these seams before. There might be some minor differences since I'm using welded rings with an aspect ratio of ~9 but it should still work I think.

I guess it must be my eyes working against me.  I'm zoomed in on the pictures you posted, especially the rear view one, and trying to do a count on the number of scales in each row, in each piece, but I'm having trouble reproducing the effect.  I'll keep on it, since I assume some trial and error will get me there.

3 hours ago, Bladeturner said:

I guess it must be my eyes working against me.  I'm zoomed in on the pictures you posted, especially the rear view one, and trying to do a count on the number of scales in each row, in each piece, but I'm having trouble reproducing the effect.  I'll keep on it, since I assume some trial and error will get me there.

Stick a piece of painters tape to the back of some of your scales. Like every 5th row or so.  Helps me to keep track when doing tricky seams.  If the pieces are long enough to also stick out the front, they are easy to find and peel off when you're done.

Yeah, there are scales added in, they have a silver colored backside rather than the bronze color of the rest of the scales. Similarly the rings used in the seam are brass rather than stainless.

Have you downloaded the image so that you can really zoom in on the details? I find the forum gallery software to be substandard for viewing images, which is ironic since that is its only purpose.

Ah, there's the problem I'm having.  I'm color blind, so the different colors are not something I can pick out easily.  I'll try pulling the image into Photoshop and messing with the saturation.  Maybe I can recreate the pieces by removing the silver scales so I can see what to start with before the stitching.  Once I've done one seam, the rest should be easier.

I hear you, I have moderately protanomalus vision myself and it can be a real pain. If you're still having issues I can grab those pieces and mark them up with more vivid colors then reupload for you.

15 hours ago, lorenzo said:

I hear you, I have moderately protanomalus vision myself and it can be a real pain. If you're still having issues I can grab those pieces and mark them up with more vivid colors then reupload for you.

I appreciate it.  Let me give it a concerted try this weekend, and I'll let you know on Monday how my effort went.

That does help, thanks!

I stitched the two pieces together that I show at the top.  I'm not fully sure it's working, I won't know until I've got the whole yoke finished.  If I'm getting scales standing up, I'll adjust.  Once I've got that done, I'm sure I'll post here again asking for feedback.

I think my ring size is too small to accommodate the attachment method lorenzo mentioned.  I get scales bunching up and sticking out at the seams.  I'll have to adjust till I get something that works.

I see, well TRL and I disagree about the correct ring size for scales. Those scales were designed to work best with approx. 9/32" ID. Using 1/4" rings makes the weave slightly stronger but also much heavier, less flexible, etc.

The basic form of the seam should still work but you will need to substitute larger rings in places to keep it from bunching up.

25 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

I see, well TRL and I disagree about the correct ring size for scales. Those scales were designed to work best with approx. 9/32" ID. Using 1/4" rings makes the weave slightly stronger but also much heavier, less flexible, etc.

The basic form of the seam should still work but you will need to substitute larger rings in places to keep it from bunching up.

This is good to know.  I'll try some 9/32" rings.