ChainByMel

How to price at midwest RenFair

Hello! 

We have never sold at a renaissance festival before but have signed up for the Great Plains Renaissance Festival in April.  I have been told many different pricing ideas.  What would you sell an item like this? (There is a black ribbon ran through the middle)  Or 6 in one stretchy bracelets? Thank you for your advice! Attach56694_20190320_203503.thumb.jpg.562bf4cc17f2d2e6c7c83b4af527f131.jpg

i'm a little interested in what other things you've been told, but a universal answer is:  (price) = (material cost of item) + ((what your time is worth) * (time to make item)).  in my experience, anything less is unsustainable, and anything more will require direct experience with your clientele.  

I was told by a couple people that you need to raise prices for the RenFair because people expect to haggle and you will lose about 10 percent to thieves. For example,  I planned on selling the unicorn necklace at $70 (the ribbon was a pain and took forever)  but was told to do $120 to start with so there is room to negotiate. 

having to debate with yourself on the price of every item is enough of a pain to me to just adopt a general strategy, especially when you've got 100 different items at a big show.  you can bump up your "what your time is worth" some when paying for a booth, or if you think you might lose money in the sales process (through haggling or thievery), because that is literally making your time cost more than with direct sales; but in general, i prefer to go the other way, i.e. make my base, per-hour pay higher and give nice people and/or direct sales discounts.  hope that makes sense.