Corsair

First inlay commission--need advice

Hi all! I just got a commission from a buddy who wants an AA shield inlay he can mount over a dished frame and hang on his wall. It's going to be about dinner-plate-sized, 14" diameter or so, and I'm thinking the simplest way to do it would be to make 5 wedges and stitch them together so they hang wrong way from inside to outside. Math has never been my forte, though, and I'm a bit boggled as to how to determine ring size and quantity. What would make the cleanest lines without being so tiny as to make the project both interminable and unaffordable? Maybe 18ga? Do I want the AR closer to 3.5 than 4? Are there any inlay programs out there that do smaller gauges than 16? Thanks in advance; I'm really looking forward to this challenge...

Hard to give you advice as there is some key information missing... what is the inlay supposed to be?  The level of detail of the image you want to reproduce will be an important factor to consider when choosing ring size.

Also, what weave?  Euro 4 in 1?

It's the Captain America shield, so pretty simple as inlays go. I've never seen an inlay done in anything other than E4in1, so that's what I was figuring just for simplicity's sake.

Assuming you mean the round one with a star (there's a few designs), it is pretty simple on the detail side, so you can use fairly large rings.  The difficulty will be making it perfectly circular and making a perfect 5 pointed star in the middle.  A symetrical weave (like Japanese weaves) might make that easier. 

Making 5 wedges of Euro 4 in 1 with the correct angle to be joined flat seems difficult.  And the inlay programs I've seen usually assume you are weaving the entire drawing in one flat sheet, so they are unlikely to be very helpful for that plan.