Sign in to follow this  
Les

Magical Stretchy Bracelets

I like to make maille bracelets and such that are contiguous (without clasps).  This presents a problem because the bracelets are too lose and move up and down the forearm.  So I daydreamed of a bracelet that would magically resize itself.  

This design would stretch larger to fit over the fist and collapse to fit the wrist, which is backward from the norm.  At first I dreamed of titanium due to it's flexibility which could work very well, especially with number of turns on each ring being greater than one to accommodate the stretching of each ring.  

Then the daydreams continued to a design that naturally performed the desired action without need for any (or much) ring expansion.  That's where the imagination has left us and I'm reporting the concept to you.   

I claim no originality other than revisiting of an aged topic, as self-resizing magical objects go back through Tolkien and onward to antiquity in days of yore.  Also I realize that my knowledge and skill are limited here, so I'm suggesting this to be a community topic for us to co-cogitate upon and enjoy!  

So I invite you to put your thinking coif on and get out  your tomes of wisdom and learned enchantment for this a fun one to share with each other.  

Les

Edited by Les
spelling

After some time spent tonight, I've made a full persian split that is slightly modified for use with very low aspect ratio rings for the weave.  If it is of any use to you, the image shown here tells the tale.  

My plan is to make a zig-zag of splits joining splits, eventually with smaller rings but the larger ones first for better clarity of photos and brainology.  After the zig-zag works (if it does) then I plan to make a ring of alternating hearts which is based on the same concept.  

The split does have some springiness without flexing of rings themselves, as near as I can tell.  Hopefully will be enough spring to make up the difference between fist and wrist.  

Les

FP6-1_split_SXAB1438.jpeg.09d3612aa82126f899135032c11a2242.jpeg

Edited by Les
add hearts sentence