Gil-Galad

Restoring Chainmail that survived a house fire

Hello, everyone. I hope this community has been doing well. It's been a while since I've visited.

I was hoping to call on some experience or advice about how to clean chainmail damaged in a fire. Last month, my parents house burned down. I was living with them through the end of med school, so my stuff was all there too. Fortunately, everyone was unharmed, but the house was a complete loss and will be demolished. I lost one anodized aluminum inlay entirely. No trace. I have a stainless scale shirt, a stainless chainmail shirt, and a half stainless half anodized aluminum dragonscale tie that all survived the fire with some damage. I want to try and restore these as nicely as I can. Lots of sentimental value here. Not to mention the cost of the materials and all the time spent on these.

I have this picture of them. As you can see, the three of them are still structurally sound with no appreciable warping. The green color in the tie is almost completely gone, but if i can just make it look clean, I'd like to keep it around. The chainmail shirt seems to have fared best, but it has some melted polyester gunked onto parts of it, as there was some clothing laying on it in my closet at the time of the fire.

Edited by Gil-Galad
Re-attaching Image

I would recommend for the chain shirt is to find a way to tumble it with an aggressive medium. Maybe put it in a pickle barrel and roll it around the floor, or put it in a heavy duty clothes dryer. Or, sice it stainless, you might try to burn it off with a low temp torch, but remember to wear a mask, you don't want to breath the fumes. 🙂

For the anodized aluminum, for just cleaning the metal same thing, but for the tie, it should fit in a standard tumbler. If you want the color back, replace those rings with new anodized aluminum.

Hope this helps,

Katrina

Same, I don't see a picture. Tumbling is likely good advice for the mail shirt although with a small AR it might not have much effect. For the scale shirt and tie I would want to have a good look at them before making a recommendation.

I am having trouble getting the image to appear. I attached it, but it says i have overused my attachment space. When i go to manage attachments, i can't delete any of my old pictures from years ago. Anyone have some advice?

I'm not sure what to do about the attachments issue but you could try using an offsite image hosting service.