Chiquilin

Making electrical wire non-tarnishing

Total newbie. Knows nothing but YouTube videos. Totally broke too. My friend gave me about 400lbs of electrical wire, so I figured why not.  What can I do to it to make the copper not turn skin green? Thanx for any help and please don't laugh too hard or shake your head too much.

Not wearing the copper directly on skin might really be the only way.  How big is the wire?  What are you planning to do with it?  If you are thinking armor rather than jewellry, then it should be fine if you wear clothes under the armor (as one should).  Just keep in mind that copper is rather heavy and soft.  Most people use it for trim only on armor.  Making the whole piece with it is unusual and not very practical.

Things like keychains or decorating pieces (wall hangings, lampshades, etc) would also be fine, as they are not much in contact with skin.

Thank you for the ideas. The stuff is kinda thick. Decorations, keychains, lampshades are much more practice. I saw a chandelier kinda like a teardrop earing supporting a 4 ft diameter bowl.

That's a bit tricky, electroplating is the best solution if you're up to it. Silver or gold being the most popular choices.

You can kind of get a clear coat plastic to stick to finished chains if you do it just right but it's not ideal.

Renaissance wax is a good solution but needs to be re-applied periodically.

Thanx for all the choices. What I've figured is I'll just use the rings I'm making to do practice pieces. Get my familiarized with what I'm doing.