Jaxadus

What wire gauge and mandrel size do I need for this?

The pattern looks easy enough. I'm pretty sure there's three inner diameters. A medium size for the top/bottom. A large size, and the smallest size being the connectors for the larger rings. With everything being 2rings thick. Can anyone tell me exact gauges and/or diameters? 

il_570xN.1535224932_g3dq.jpg

Do bear in mind that if you're not worried about the ball being maybe somewhat larger or smaller, it doesn't matter an awful lot just what diameters and wire thicknesses you use.

Large,  an AR of about 6, and the small link with an AR about 4, though at first glance it seems tighter.  Two wire diameters also -- maybe look to 16ga (.063") for the large and 18ga (.048") for the small.  The medium sized link in the middle with 5 pairs of small links through it rather than 6 -- I see only one of these anywhere, and may have been done because it was the only way for it to fit smoothly.

This is a (1,2) Goldberg sphere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldberg_polyhedron#/media/File:Conway_polyhedron_Dk5sI.png)
60 hexagons, 12 pentagons, 210 edges.

The large rings are the hexagons. The medium rings are the pentagons. The small rings are the edges. Every ring is doubled, so you'll need:

• 120 Large rings
  • 24 Medium rings
  • 420 Small rings

These rigid spheres are really sensitive to using the correct ring sizes. There's not much room between a partially finished ball that doesn't have enough curvature to close up and one that feels like a mushy water balloon. Ignore the advice to just guess and follow ZiLi's guides on ring sizes if you don't want to reinvent the wheel.