Bladeturner

Armor Stand PVC Materials

I'm thinking about making a simple cross bar armor stand using furniture grade PVC.  Does anyone have experience using pvc for this purpose?  I need to put something together quickly.  It's for the scale shirt I just made, which probably weighs 10-15 lbs.  Thanks!

I'm not sure what "furniture grade PVC" is, but I have a duct tape dummy, with an internal structure made of PVC pipes, the regular pipes you can get at any hardware store.  2 inch diameter if my memory is good.   Try "duct tape dummy stand" in Google if you want to see what I mean.  You could stop at that step and just make the "arms" a bit longer, if you don't want to add the stuffed duct tape part.

"Furniture Grade PVC" is PVC pipe that is usually coloured, and doesn't degrade badly in the presence of UV light.

Sorry, no experience of that particular type, though I've made several archery bows out of the regular stuff, Red Oak, and paracord by using heat forming. I've seen people make armour stands out of metal plumbing pipe though.

Basically,I have a scale shirt that I made as an Christmas gift (the blue one with the white stripe in the gallery), and I need a way of giving it to my brother in law.  I was thinking of building a PVC stand and draping fabric over the whole thing so he can "open" it on the day.  I can't really think of any other way to give this thing as a gift.

On 11/23/2019 at 11:19 AM, Bladeturner said:

Basically,I have a scale shirt that I made as an Christmas gift (the blue one with the white stripe in the gallery), and I need a way of giving it to my brother in law.  I was thinking of building a PVC stand and draping fabric over the whole thing so he can "open" it on the day.  I can't really think of any other way to give this thing as a gift.

You could get like a JCPenny's, Sear's, Macy's (pretty much any standard clothing store you'd find at a mall) and get a box from there that would have clothing in it, then fold the shirt like a normal piece of clothing and wrap it up that way. you can even use like a soft cloth between the folds to keep it from jingling to much as well as to keep it from rubbing together. It should be pretty entertaining as he expects one thing only to find something way cooler instead.

46 minutes ago, Jeff said:

You could get like a JCPenny's, Sear's, Macy's (pretty much any standard clothing store you'd find at a mall) and get a box from there that would have clothing in it, then fold the shirt like a normal piece of clothing and wrap it up that way. you can even use like a soft cloth between the folds to keep it from jingling to much as well as to keep it from rubbing together. It should be pretty entertaining as he expects one thing only to find something way cooler instead.

I considered a shirt box, but the scale shirt weighs 10+ lbs, which would destroy that box.  If I had any skill with wood, I'd make a wooden version of a shirt box.

If all you need is a box strong enough, I suggest asking for an empty box at a local liquor store.  Say a box that used to contain a dozen wine bottles (which is more than 15 pounds worth of wine bottles, so the box is surely strong enough).

A cheap plastic storage box from Target or Wal-Mart would do the trick, plus you'd be giving something to store it in at the same time. In the past I've used boxes from IP phones and Dell replacement parts, because they aren't your typical flimsy shirt box. An 8 pound aluminum chain shirt, with scale upper arm, made it from Toronto to Chicago, with barely a mark on the box.