OldCelticMail

Question for Welding Mail

There is definitely a need for squeeze pressure but it should either come from the redirected force of pressing the ring into the electrodes or spring tension in the ring itself.

17 hours ago, lorenzo said:

There is definitely a need for squeeze pressure but it should either come from the redirected force of pressing the ring into the electrodes or spring tension in the ring itself.

Which is why the location of the electrodes on the TRL welder is particularly good. A roughly 45 degree angle redirects half the force into pinching the ring's gap during welding.

If you only want a few pieces and don't want to go to all the trouble of building your own welder, you might want to try an oxy-acetylene micro torch. The people on this forum don't much like them because they are ''old fashioned" and "low-tech" (and because they require a certain amount of real skill to operate) but the Smith's and Victor versions do an excellent job without modification and, with a good setup, are at least as fast as tig. I did my first three welded shirts that way and still consider it the best way to weld aluminum  or sili-bronze.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:24 PM, knuut said:

If you only want a few pieces and don't want to go to all the trouble of building your own welder, you might want to try an oxy-acetylene micro torch. The people on this forum don't much like them because they are ''old fashioned" and "low-tech" (and because they require a certain amount of real skill to operate) but the Smith's and Victor versions do an excellent job without modification and, with a good setup, are at least as fast as tig. I did my first three welded shirts that way and still consider it the best way to weld aluminum  or sili-bronze.

That's a pretty neat thing, I had no idea they made oxy/ace torches that are so cute. I might just try that out, as I do have a tig welder and also some oxy torch stuff, I feel like not having to grind a bunch of electrodes would help out a lot.

Where on earth can such petite fire sources be found