Sign in to follow this  
Vashtanarada42

Cleaning oxidissed rings

I was gifted a bunch of old jump rings I think many of them are oxidized due to the powdery feel of them.  I don't think that they are BA. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can clean them?

Do you know anyone who has a vibratory tumbler, like those used to clean shell casing for reloading? The best way that I have found to clean oxide (rust, etc.) off rings is to put them in a vibratory tumbler with either crushed walnut shell of corn cob dry tumbling media for a couple of days.

If the residue is loose and powdery, it will come off easily just scrubbing at them with dishwashing liquid and a green scrubbie.  This won't get all of  it but it will knock off the really loose stuff. 

The mail links may then be woven together and immediately worn, used, or even tumbled about.  Mail is notorious for self-abrading, and in time this treatment will remove any powdery zinc oxide, which is what it sounds like you have.  Check for links being heavy -- that's steel -- and magnetic -- plain steel.  You definitely do not have a fancy nonmagnetic stainless wire here.