CheekyStoat

Ready to go pump?

I'm in the process of building my own jig for cutting my own jump rings, and I think the set up I've started will be good enough (I'll post pics when I'm done if anyone's interested). Now I'm looking for a lubrication system. A lot of the threads coming up when I search the forums are over five years old with broken links to pumps.

Initially I was just looking for a low flow fish tank pump but if I'm going to be pumping oil I don't think that will work. What kind of pumps and filters are people using? Is a gravity based system best?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Start with something cheap and simple, either gravity drip or waxing the coils. You might as well get experience with both really, then you can understand for yourself how they work and what the drawbacks are. That way, when you're ready to move on to something better you'll already have a good idea of what you want.

Like @lorenzo said, a wax based lubricant (TRL sells this) or simple gravity feed should work fine, unless you're doing some serious high volume, or high hardness stuff. I've been using wax lubricant for quite some time now.

Also, when talking about cutting oil, you're likely in the 10:1 (or lower) water to oil mix ratio. I don't think that would be an issue for a fish tank pump. I've got such a pump currently sitting in a box, waiting for the Mk II of my current cutting rig to be made. (It's been a while.) If it does eventually fail they're fairly cheap, so no big deal.

My intent is mostly titanium, for the moment, which I'm under the impression is hard enough to warrant a proper lubricant set up. My intent is to wax the coils and to pump in some lubricant just to be extra safe and minimize burrs (and hopefully help the saw blades live slightly longer).

What lubricant are you using that's soluble enough to mix with water instead of floating on the top? Soap? Sorry if that question is super basic. No one ever really says what they're using, just to "lubricate a lot and often."

TRL doesn't seem to sell the stick of lubricant anymore, unless I misplaced it. Was with the saw blades but I checked each category under Tools and it's gone, not out of stock, no longer listed. Which is a bit funny because I had it in my cart last week. But that's no big deal as I can use bee's wax, or something.

Building this has been extremely interesting and fun. Relying on whispers of ideas while everyone else just says "don't bother." XD

Thank you both for the replies!

Interesting that the cutting lube is gone. Good thing that I bought 3 or 4 last time and have a few left. Seems that I'll have to work on the Mk II sooner than I would have liked and will need to mock-up the bracket with 8020. Might have to get some local tool & die guy to make the cutting block out of billet aluminum, so it will take tougher metals than brass/bronze like my current one does.

The sort of cutting oil that I'm talking about can be found at this link. I generally hear people talking about mix ratios of 10:1 or 20:1, when cutting metal.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/cutting-oil-coolant/A-p8034012e

You can see what I did to make a rig in this video, if you're patient enough to make it through the hand worked windlass part ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psIGKM4TD-Y