MailleWerX

Armor Stands

I wanted to get my shirts up off the floor and off of the work bench so I made some armor stands for them.  We haven't had 4x4 lumber here of any sort for months so I screwed two 2x4's together, made a modified base where two legs on the x axis were shorter than those on the y axis so that they didn't stick out as far from the wall (of course I screwed one of the up and put the legs on the wrong sides), and I had an 8 foot dowel rod for another project that I cut down to 22" segments to drape the shirts on.  All I needed was the 2x4's and the stain/polycrylic, everything else I had.  The stands are 4 feet tall and I left plenty of room for a couple of coifs to be added to each one.  I've got a ton more room on my work bench for larger projects as these stands keep the shirts up out of the way perfectly, now all I need is for TRL to restock the rings I need to make the coifs and I'm good to go.  I have 2 other shirts I'm working on so when I get rings for and finish those I'll probably add another stand or two.

118308812_3153912688061890_3313150352121378662_n.jpg

118360601_3153912621395230_3514737168573661657_n.jpg

118307047_3153912961395196_8296482130274674421_n.jpg

118306692_3153912768061882_3290057407821283009_n.jpg

118306480_3153913264728499_792742844345777121_n.jpg

Good job.

Seeing all three of them together like that tempted me to quip "Truly I tell you, this day shalt thou be with me in... well, the front hall, anyway!"

So, are your shirts all the same link size?  I see one shirt has a 4-trapezoids/Bladeturner shoulder section.  Are the shirts the end-all, or are they in aid of a larger hobby like a LARP or the SCA?

You speak of TRL restocking -- do you like pre-cut or sawn links, then?  I'll put in a plug for Cold Steel, too, as having better quality mailorder swords than most.  Other arms too.

Things been a little dull around here the last  couple weeks -- thanks for dropping by.

Edited by Konstantin the Red

One is 16G 1/4" square wire rings in E4-1 (short-sleeved one), one is 18G 3/16" square wire rings in trinity (long sleeved one), and the vest is 16G 3/16" round wire rings. All the rings are machine cut and I actually think they're available but the rest of the ring order I want to make was missing a few sizes.

The shirts were all made years ago just to do them, not hobby related beyond chainmail.

And yeah, a lot of forums are slow nowadays (at least a lot of the ones I frequent).  And I dont get to share much thats chainmail related anymore because all my time is spent working on designs for my website at maillewerx dot com.  Actually making chainmail fell by the wayside for a bit d/t focusing on that.

Those are pretty slick!

Any reason you made them so short?

I've been trying to figure a better way to work on a shirt but other than dress makers dummy I haven't been able to come up with any ideas.

On 09/13/2020 at 7:01 AM, bjorn said:

I've been trying to figure a better way to work on a shirt but other than dress makers dummy I haven't been able to come up with any ideas.

Making them in patches always sufficed for me.  Test fittings, since the shirts were for me only, were just try 'em on, take 'em off, get back to weaving, or zipping on the mailpatch I'd been weaving.

It's remarkable just how simple you can go and have mailling still work.

On 9/13/2020 at 9:01 AM, bjorn said:

Those are pretty slick!

Any reason you made them so short?

I only made them 4 feet tall for display.  This made me able to get them off my worktable and out of the way.  If I was making a stand so that I could work on a shirt I would definitely make it taller.  As Konstantin said I always found working on shirts in patches to work for me.

I'll have to try the sections thing 

Totally agree with short to get them out of the way 

Still awesome work dude!