Rob MacLennan

What's everyone doing?

I've been doing a little chainmailing recently, but have mostly switched to leatherwork over the last couple of months. What's everyone else up to?

Q9042221.JPG

That looks great. I've been learning to work with leather - still a lot to learn, but a lot of fun. 

I need to get some pictures. Did some leather armor, a belt for my granddaughter, a knife sheath, and a few other odds and ends. I need to retire so I have more time to play with my hobbies.

2 hours ago, EWCarman said:

That looks great. I've been learning to work with leather - still a lot to learn, but a lot of fun. 

I need to get some pictures. Did some leather armor, a belt for my granddaughter, a knife sheath, and a few other odds and ends. I need to retire so I have more time to play with my hobbies.

I'll second that. I'm 5 years away from being able to retire at full pension, due to the 20 (years of service) + 60 (years of age) policy where I work and I'd like to take it that early, but fiscal realities will make it otherwise. I can do the basic fabrication for many things but I need to develop the artistic side, like leather tooling, to punch-up things like simple bags into something more. Ultimately combining leatherwork and chainmailing is my aim.

Just trying to stay essential at the moment. Been traveling for work all across the states for work. 

Kind of hard to cut rings in a hotel room.

Mainly been trying to work on my control for closing and opening rings so I can up my speed.

I do want to try my hand at leather working and plate armor making buuuuuut that'll have to wait till I can stay still for a while. Or when I retire like rob. 

23 minutes ago, bjorn said:

Just trying to stay essential at the moment. Been traveling for work all across the states for work. 

Kind of hard to cut rings in a hotel room.

Mainly been trying to work on my control for closing and opening rings so I can up my speed.

I do want to try my hand at leather working and plate armor making buuuuuut that'll have to wait till I can stay still for a while. Or when I retire like rob. 

You might enjoy checking out David Guyton's Youtube channel, while waiting for some time to actually start crafting again.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkoYXnhsEbfvlreCoRf49mQ

Lately, I've been enjoying my new torch 😀. Added several more silversmithing pieces into my inventory over the last few months. I'm also trying to write my second novel, or re-write to be more precise. I'd had it nearly finished in December until it met with a fatal laptop malfunction that completely corrupted the file beyond all repair 😭. On top of all that, I've also been working on my digital painting/sketching skills.

35 minutes ago, Narrina said:

Lately, I've been enjoying my new torch 😀. Added several more silversmithing pieces into my inventory over the last few months. I'm also trying to write my second novel, or re-write to be more precise. I'd had it nearly finished in December until it met with a fatal laptop malfunction that completely corrupted the file beyond all repair 😭. On top of all that, I've also been working on my digital painting/sketching skills.

If you're not using something like Scrivener, then Google Docs is your friend. It tracks revisions, does live saves, and can be accessed from any connected computer on multiple platforms. Makes losing that manuscript a lot less likely, next time ;)

3 minutes ago, Rob MacLennan said:

If you're not using something like Scrivener, then Google Docs is your friend. It tracks revisions, does live saves, and can be accessed from any connected computer on multiple platforms. Makes losing that manuscript a lot less likely, next time ;)

I thought it was backed up on Onedrive, but it turned out it wasn't😕. I'm now going to be keeping back-ups on an external drive, flashdrive, and email.