TitaniumMithril

you'll never believe what mila kunis wore!

sorry - i couldn't help myself with the title.  i just thought this dress was interesting.  i don't know what those "scales" are - they look like heavy paper, or why they all have five holes when nearly all of them only use four.  but it's interesting!

u8vow955vzl61.jpg

Very interesting. I couldn't find an online link to the March issue of Allure Magazine, which this picture is apparently from, so no idea if they say what the dress is made of. Looking at it though, I would say that it's a thin flexible plastic, to match the clear "scales" that they used around the waist. Punching 5 hols in everything probably just made sense from a production point of view. Or they just screwed up and had to change the hole placement, because I can't seem to find a single instance in which the "top" hole was used. Or they're repurposed from something else entirely...

*SIDE NOTE* - Some unscrupulous individual is already selling this picture on eBay.

i would have thought that too, but zooming in, some of the white "scales" have a bit of fringe or fraying along the outside that makes me think of heavy paper or rag stock or something like that.  i assumed too that they just made them all with 5 holes just in case (25% more revealing!).  the only one i could find that uses all five is right around her belly button.  could definitely be "recycled".

5scale.jpg

Could be, but I was putting that down to them using a not so sharp blade to cut them (like a press or the like).

*EDIT*  I didn't realize that Kunis has bilateral heterochromia (her left eye is brown and the right is green). I only noticed when I looked at the picture at 100% zoom. When I saw that, I did a quick search and confirmed it. I find it interesting because I have centre heterochromia (centres of both eyes are blue, while the surrounding iris is green).

i noticed that too in the picture, but assumed that it was just the lighting - interesting stuff!  i didn't know center-heterochromia was even a thing, but i guess i have it too? - almost opposite of you - my eyes are hazel in the center and blue on the outside.  must be genetic, because one of my daughters matches mine (while my other matches my wife's blue-gray eyes).

It can happen due to illness, as it did in Kunis's case, but some are born with it. Bilateral ("full") heterochromia, like she has, is pretty rare (like 1/2000). No idea about the more common version that we have. Odd thing is that my father has blue eyes, my mother has green eyes, and I'm their only child (of three) with heterochromia.

interesting that an eye surgery could cause that - bodies are weird.  neither of my parents have blue eyes (brown and hazel) yet both my sister and i have blue eyes (well, mostly blue in my case), so they must both have recessive genes for blue eyes (if high school biology was at all accurate)?  like a 1/16 chance for that (if my college stats class was any better).

This just reinforces my belief that the most beautiful women always seem to have what some people would call an "imperfection" that makes them unique. Takes them out of the realm of the plastic.

Based on the amount of distortion, cropping and other manipulation in that photo she has a lot of imperfections. lol.

Fair point, I should probably re-examine my unrealistic beauty standards. Does photoshop have a brush for that now?

On 3/16/2021 at 8:33 PM, lorenzo said:

Based on the amount of distortion, cropping and other manipulation in that photo she has a lot of imperfections. lol.

Typical magazine shot editing, unfortunately. Take a truly beautiful woman and then treat her as if she's less so, by manipulating the image to accentuate some things, minimize others. Undoctored shots of Kunis show that she has come pretty far from the child actress who lied about her age to get on a wildly popular sitcom.

There's an actress that I vaguely know, who is built literally like a comic book superhero (34DD, with a 23 inch waist, and far from a Kardashian style bottom), purely by genetics. No surgery. A couple of years ago I stumbled across some professional shots that were taken of her and could easily make out that the photographer had performed similar edits on her. It was shot in a bedroom and there was a bed behind her, with vertical lines on the quilt. The lines SHOULD have been straight, but made obvious curves around her obvious curves. it disgusted me that someone would do that. To her credit this actress now, on her Instagram, makes sure to post any and all edits that have been made to a picture.