gmm213

Weaving anodized aluminum

Just wondering if there's any tricks to weaving anodized aluminum and not scratching the finish with your pliers? I just ordered some and have only worked with galvanized before. Is it a real concern? 

I agree with toothless pliers. That's mainly what I use. A heard a suggestion a long time ago using Plasti Dip or something like it on pliers, but I'm not sure how that affects grip as I've never tried it myself.

9 hours ago, Nyx said:

I agree with toothless pliers. That's mainly what I use. A heard a suggestion a long time ago using Plasti Dip or something like it on pliers, but I'm not sure how that affects grip as I've never tried it myself.

I tried it and wasn't really happy with the results. Under pressure the teeth start cutting the PlastiDip from the inside and it eventually splits. Removing and redoing it is a pain. If you want to go that way then getting pliers with replaceable plastic jaw covers is likely the better way to go, though it does work well to replace the handles on cheaper pliers. Dip 2 or 3 times to get the desired thickness of handle.