pyropyrope

Bearded Dragon Armor

I’ve been making jewelry type stuff for a few years now, but I was recently asked to make some little armor for a bearded dragon. Of course I said I would try but I’m now completely lost on where to start. Does anyone have any ideas or patterns they could share for this? 

I had a similar issue a while back. The first thing that I had to do was stop thinking like I was making armour for a human shape. I ended up thinking more along the lines of making a sock to go along the body, rather than having the armour hang like it would on a human. No pattern; just straight out of my head. Getting the dimensions right would be important and the leg holes could hold the armour in place, so that it doesn't slide up the body. You would likely need to lace it closed along the belly if you went this way.

TobinDax.jpg

Start with  taking some measurements: length of head & body, diameters of same, what's the widest part of the body or head, what shape will you need to make the panels to fit the dargon's body & head etc.. 

The sock idea should work out well, if you can get the critter to crawl into it. Otherwise, make body & belly panels with 1 side, them put hooks or lobster claws to close the other side.

Hey y’all! 
So I went with the cape idea because I wanted to leave his belly exposed as beardies tend to sit with their bellies on the ground and I didn’t want to interfere with that or irritate him more than absolutely necessary. I don’t have a picture of the full piece on him but here is him in it like 80% finished and a flat picture of the full piece. 

56150C65-10C2-48CC-B52A-10D518079841.jpeg

AF46EDCC-5150-43BB-B9BC-DB45B77998DB.jpeg