Phong

How to connect to the IRC TRL chat room

Aight, I made a nifty video running through the process of setting up Trillian 3 to connect to the IRC chat. It needs the Flash player, and runs about 3.5 MB. Let me know if you need a better quality version to make out the details.

Note that in the Nick text field, I put PhongofDoom, but you put whatever you want your nickname to be.

http://cgmaille.com/connecttoirc.shtml

Enjoy!

-phong

Just so everyone knows... it seems that Trillian dropped support of irc. I've re-dl'ed it three times and cannot get it to open a window to allow irc connections.

Trillian Basic 3.1 (from July 19 2007) still connects to IRC. If you have that version, or can find the installer archived on the web, it should still be able to connect.

-phong

If the version of Trillian in question is 4 (Astra), then IRC ability has only just recently been reintroduced into the code. And keep in mind that it's still alpha quality software, so nonworkingness is to be expected for now, but eventually it will be made usable, if not reliable and robust.

If we're not talking about version 4, then I got nothin'.

Sorry, it was my stupidity, not the program. I had recently updated the software and apparently when I did, it selectively turned off the irc option. I fixed it, my bad.

ok, sometimes I just have to have things spelled out real slow like. I have trillion 3.1 on my laptop.

1. In the server alias box do I put trl?

2. What do I put for a server name?

and

3. Should I keep anything else in mind?

ok, sometimes I just have to have things spelled out real slow like. I have trillion 3.1 on my laptop.

1. In the server alias box do I put trl?

2. What do I put for a server name?

and

3. Should I keep anything else in mind?

Server alias box, put whatever you want to identify it. 'IRC' 'TRL' 'Ring Lord Chat', whatever you like.

Server name, if you mean the box below the Server Alias, you can click the '...' button next to it to bring up a list of servers. If you want to type the server name in directly type

irc.darkmyst.org::6667

Doing that and following the rest of the video should get you into the chat. There are various IRC commands to do various things, but they're not strictly necessary for simple chatting.

-phong

Forget about #trl these days.

#mail is where it's at!

the MAIL Chat Client can also be used to connect to the TRL Chat room.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/chat/

Once you have Connected, it will take you straight to the MAIL Chatroom, which shares a server with the TRL Chatroom... Simply type: /join #trl to also join the TRL Chatroom

I've noticed there seems to be more names logged onto the IRC when I'm on my client but an empty webroom. are they different channels/servers?