lorenzo

Split ring pliers techniques?

I just recently started doing a project with some split rings in it, after several years of not really using them.

It's always bothered me that everyone else but me seems to find using the pliers more convenient, so I had another go at using them but I really can't get the hang of it. Could someone who uses these please describe or graphically demonstrate to me how these are supposed to be utilized?

Hello. For J6-1, or any mail I do, grab the ring at the top so that it splits to the right of the plier jaws. For J-6-1 or 4-1, make 1-1 chains with a "stored" ring ,or 2 stored rings for J-6-1. Attatch a second chain (1-1) to the bottom of the first chain, going through the stored rings making sure the split ring is joined at the "coin". Less resistance that way rather than forcing it past doubled wire and, it will retain it,s shape. For E-4-1, I use the o.o.o.c. method. Again, It,s easier to add them at the coined section ,especially when using size two rings. I,m right handed so I spin the rings on in a clock-wise fashion. Also, much like scale, the rings in E-4-1 need to be added correctly or they,ll twist up. Hope this helps. Ant.

Actually I'm just looking for the technique that people use to manipulate the rings with the pliers. I don't need any help with weaving them but thank you for the effort.

For clarification, I would like to know details of how various people pick up the ring, open the ring with the pliers and grip the ring as it is rotated. I am interested in understanding this from the point of view of ergonomics and efficiency. Also any input from lefties would be most valuable, I'm wondering if my difficulty is mainly a parity thing.

I don't use the pliers to pick up the rings, but I do use them to not only open them but also twist them onto scales. I use the pliers pictured below, they are a bit different from most with the wedge to open the ring and not a pointy bit like I have seen. They have enough room behind the wedge to grab the ring and rotate it onto the scale. I am right handed BTW.

splitpliers.jpg

Hi. They are grabbed directly off the table, squeezed open & woven into the piece. This should work left handed as well as right. If everything is prepared, there is no need to put the pliers down between rings. The jaw of the plier is on the bottom in the pic.http://HPIM0124.jpg.

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I wanted to know, I just wish a few more people would chime in. Oh well, do either of you have any RPH estimates when using the techniques that you do?

Hello. On average, about 300 r.p.h. with the larger rings. You could go even faster if you train for it. That is for one ring at a time . One open on one closed ring would effectively double this rate, minus prep time of course. With small split-rings ,i.e 3m.m. i.d. it,s a bit slower than that. I have never had to weave splits with a deadline though. Ant.

I am right handed so bear with me. This is how I assemble scales using split rings. The process is very similar for ring only assembly. I use the TRL Xuron split ring pliers. I pick up a ring with my left hand and hold the pliers in my right hand (duh) with the 'prong' (wedgy bit) pointing down. I position the ring so the prong splits the ring directly opposite the open ends of the ring. Then I push the edge of the scale (that I am now holding with my left hand with the concave side facing me) onto the ring. Once the ring is on the scale but not all the way in the scale hole, I release the ring from the plier prong and use the pliers as a regular set of pliers and rotate the ring into the scale hole. I never have to put the pliers down and usually pick up the scale and ring at the same time. Piece of pie (once you try it a couple hundred times)

This seems overly complicated and maybe not at all clear but it is the best I can do with out pictures.

As far as rings per hour, I can easily assemble a 10x10 patch of large scales in an hour while watching TV, much less if that is all I am doing and paying close attention. When I assemble scale patches with split rings, I only use the pliers to put 2 rings on each scales. I use just fingers to assemble these scales into patches. Assembling ring only patches from split rings would take much the same time and I would use the pliers for the whole process.

Hope this helps.