Vidar

A sad day...

Well, for me anyway. Yesterday I lost one of my cats. I was considering not bothering to post here, but I'm finding that posting stuff on sites that I am on alot is helping me deal with things. My cat was 15 years old, and she was getting sick. She had been very sick about 5 years ago as well, and I thought we were going to lose her then, but she rebounded and became that little kitten (albeit an old kitten) again. Recently the same illness was befalling her. Her liver started to shut down as she had stopped eating. I'm guessing it was a protest of some sort. What kind of cat goes on a hunger strike? Maybe she didn't like the way the world was going...lol

Anyway, I had feared that she was on her way out, she wasn't looking good. I got home from work and couldn't find her. I looked under my bed, and she was on the other side of it. I feared the worst as I crawled over the bed to check on her. I tapped at her hind legs, which were protruding from the underside of the bed and got no response. I knew she had gone. I called a friend to come over and help me, and she was here as quick as possible. We were going to give her a great sendoff. Well, she went in to bring her body up so we could wrap it in nice linen and take her to the vet. She told me that the cat was still breathing. I lost it at this point. After I composed myself, we realized that she was likely in a coma as her eyes were bugged wide open, with no response, her jaw was tightly shut and she was just barely breathing. I was able to say my goodbyes, tied an ankh around her, and as soon as that was finished, she stopped breathing and had died.

We took her to the vet to have her cremated. I opted not to have the ashes returned to me, even though she was like a kid to me, she was still just a cat. Writing that it sounds harsh, but it's true.

We sat around last night, having a few drinks and chatting. The cat's sister is still running around like a kitten. She's a bit lost without her sister here, but she's coping, which is a good thing.

Anyway, that's my story. I've attached a picture of my kittie just for the sake of putting it there.

This made me cry.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved cat in August last year in a similar way (she was 17 years old and I also still have her sister). It doesn't matter they were just cats they were still ours friends and our loves. May she be at peace and play among the stars with Bast.

Vidar, I'm sorry for your loss. Losing anyone you love is always difficult. She was "just" a cat, but she was also your beloved friend and pet, and it's only natural to hurt. Take comfort in the fact that you loved her and did your best by her and took care of her. No regrets. Just losts of good memories.

LL

In the ancient world, cats were worshipped as gods. They have never forgotten this. Cats are never "just" anything. They are special creatures and life would be far less interesting without them.

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.

Albert Schweitzer

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my 4 year old cat last year due to a congenital defect in his tummy and at the same time had a cat in intensive care due to a car accident. I was a very difficult time so I know what you are going through. I found huge support through a site I discovered while I was looking for a poem for my 4 year old cat - www.petloss.com. It's dedicated to animals who have left us and I found the community there absolutely fantastic. My handle there is "Marple" - you are welcome to look up my posts if you like. I'm not very active on there at the moment as I have had no recent losses (touch wood), but I occasionally check in and see if I can help others in their time of need. I wish you all the very best and I know that your kitty will be with her friends at Rainbow Bridge ...

Vidar,

It practically rips your heart out. Last May, my dog of 15 years died in my arms. I haven't cried that much since my Dad passed away.

Our pets become so much a part of us, unconditional love, amusement and company.

My heart goes out to you.

Ah man, losing a pet sucks :(. I've lost a few too, but I never loved any of them as much as I love the cat I own now (but I sure cried a LOT when they died!) and I dread the day that she dies :(. I'm really sorry for your loss :(.

OMG I have been there! I have nursed my share of devoted canine companions and have lost them due to age and disease! It's never easy that I know for sure. My heart breaks still for my beloved "Hammer" my very first Doberman over 20 years ago.

I really know how you feel!!!

Leo

One of the few times I shed tears in a public place was when I told the vet a kitten I had just rescued from the middle of the road died of distemper. I litterally pulled this maybe six week old kitten out of the middle of the road and made the mistake of leaving him in the care of the animal shelter over night, hoping I could find someone to take him home. A week later I had to bury him because of the distemper he caught while at the shelter:sigh:.

Kitty heaven is mousey hell. When my Lady's cat, Argo, had to be put down about 2 years ago, it was a very hard time for her, as she'd had him for 12+ years. We opted for the cremation, however and he's now in an urn on one of the high shelves in our living room.

:beer:

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I spent nearly 17 years in the pet industry(mostly retail supplies for you furred family) and have seen and had my share of loss too. It never gets easier, but remembering them keeps them alive in your heart and mind. The part about not eating is very common. It is usually your first sign that there is something wrong. my heart goes out to you.

Take care,

Gav

Vidar, I am so terribly sorry for your loss. My heart broke for you while reading this post. Thank you for sharing her picture, she looks so sweet and playful...I love the "lookit me I is upside down" pose.

I don't believe there is such thing as "just a cat." We let these beautiful creatures into our lives and hearts, they become our friends and our family. If they weren't so important to us, we wouldn't feel so much grief in losing them.

*HUGS*

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I still feel the sting of loosing my cat almost 2 and half years ago. He was a faithful companion for 21 and half years. Hard to replace that. But the spirit of my Shadow lives on. Actually his little urn resides on the kitchen cupboard. One place he was expressly not allowed. In the end he won. Cats....