Jon Daniels

Contest - Chainmail Sculpture - Ultra Low AR Ring Launch

To celebrate the new line of Ultra Low Aspect Ratio (ULAR) rings we're having a contest!!

The ULAR rings are listed at the bottom if the aluminum ring page: http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15&cat=Machine+Cut+Aluminum+Rings

The rings are saw cut etched aluminum made from soft aluminum wire. The soft aluminum allow you to weave a ULAR ring without hands of steel and with many fewer slip and jab accidents. The rings are made to the EXACT size needed for oriental cube type sculpture - and we found even 2 thousands of an inch makes a significant difference. Each stocked size has been tested to make sure you can make a nice tight cube without doubling any rings.

If there appears to be demand we'll offer anodized ULAR rings as well.

The Contest

Deadline - Jan 31st 2008 - lots of time

Prizes - TRL gift certificates and ULAR rings. I'm thinking $100, $50 and $25 for First, Second and third but this is subject to change for the next month or 2.

What qualifies:

-The entry must be a piece composed mostly of individual rings that have been linked together (aka chainmail). Non chainmail components are allowed but should not compose more then 20% of the total piece.

- The entry must be considered to be a 3 dimensional sculpture. The object much be able to maintain the intended shape using nothing other then interlocking rings. The piece must have significant depth height and width.

- Note that any size of ring and any weave made be used so long as the above criteria are met.

-The entry must be submitted by the original artist or artists.

How to submit:

All entries must be loaded onto the sculpture page of the inspiration gallery:

http://www.theringlord.org/gallery/Sculpture

If you have question on how to do this please post but it should be mostly self explanatory.

- artists are also encouraged to post work in progress and final pictures in the "Forum News" room of The Forum. This is an uncluttered room and using it instead of the gallery room will help make browsing easier.

- entries may be changed, removed, replaced, etc up until the dead line so feel free to post anything.

- all pictures submitted may be used by TRL.

Questions, comments and recommendations gladly accepted.

Heh. That dragon already has my vote:)

its even more cool in person. Last I saw it, it was about as done as in that photo..I gotta wonder if he's done any more to it since.(couple years ago..)

First: Yay.

Second: Not that I have anything done yet, but it's kind of hard to upload pics when you can't access the gallery.:( (and I know I'm not the only one)

its even more cool in person. Last I saw it, it was about as done as in that photo..I gotta wonder if he's done any more to it since.(couple years ago..)

I talked to him about it for a while. He doesn't work on it very often. There's 500 hours put into just that head, as you see it. We should nag him for an update.

Heh. That dragon already has my vote

I thought about that already. Considering finishing my dragon up too, but wrapped objects don't count according to the contest regulations. (Not that a measly $100 [max] is what's holding me back, but, would give some extra encouragement).

"The entry must be considered to be a 3 dimensional sculpture. The object much be able to maintain the intended shape using nothing other then interlocking rings. The piece must have significant depth height and width."

That dragon is a stuffed suit (as is mine, as is Tesserex's if he ever got started on that for MAIL's now-expired Mythical Creatures contest), not sculpture. All 3 of ours rely on an internal framework or stuffing to maintain shape, sadly. They're no different than a maille t-shirt or glove really.

So build an internal framework out of maille.

Sure, if you wanted to double or more the ring count, and still have it look like tits on a grandma. Easier said than done too, it'd have to be built into the project from the start.

The purpose of the contest is to promote the new smaller rings sizes. Maille that holds itself up. In this case, it would really be the frame itself that was the sculpture, the rest of the dragon just something you threw over it.

I don't even think baskets would qualify for the contest, as they maintain shape mostly by changing radius than actually using tight rings.

What qualifies an AR as Ultra Low? 3.9... or lower maybe? I have an idea of what I'm going to try to do :)

The new Ultra Low line.

But, for the contest, you can use whatever you want. You don't even need to buy rings from TRL. It's an open contest.

There are only 2 rules:

"-The entry must be a piece composed mostly of individual rings that have been linked together (aka chainmail). Non chainmail components are allowed but should not compose more then 20% of the total piece."

... And ...

"- The entry must be considered to be a 3 dimensional sculpture. The object much be able to maintain the intended shape using nothing other then interlocking rings. The piece must have significant depth height and width."

... Note the critical part here: ...

"- Note that any size of ring and any weave made be used so long as the above criteria are met."

My only concern is this scenario:

Say person 1 has one entry and it gets 23 votes. Person 2 has 2 entries, and one gets 22 votes and the other gets 2 votes. They automatically don't win only because of that. And the two votes they got on the second submission might have gone toward the other entry had they not bothered with the second.. Not a big deal though, I spose.

One suggestion I have is setting up another category on The Inspiration Gallery for the contest, so that people don't confuse contest entries with other sculpture pictures already on the sculpture page.

Anyways, that said, I think I'll be entering at least two items for the contest, and at least one of them will be a basket.

BTW, 3.9 is no where near 'ultra low' in terms of ARs. It's not even that low, really. You can still make European 4 in 1 with an AR of 3.0. The ultra low AR rings that TRL has listed fall in the 2.4 - 2.5 range.

i'd love to enter this contest. but ular rings in the sizes i work with.. be 3+ years to make anything worth looking at:P micro mail has it's limits unless you have the time and material.

The inspiration gallery is finally up and running, but I can't seem to post. I just get.

Platform Error

An error has occurred while interacting with the platform.

I'm patiently waiting to upload my entry.

On a more up note, I've decided that sculpture is where it's at for me. Must finish the stripper outfit I started then I'll be doing sculpture almost exclusively. I really enjoy the challenge. Of course that means no more inexpensive machine made rings for me :( must get the better saw cut rings. Now I need to win just to keep mailing :)

On a more up note, I've decided that sculpture is where it's at for me. Must finish the stripper outfit I started then I'll be doing sculpture almost exclusively. I really enjoy the challenge.

Yes. Hell yes! That's what I like to hear. :D

The inspiration gallery is finally up and running, but I can't seem to post. I just get.

Platform Error

An error has occurred while interacting with the platform.

I'm getting the same error.