lorenzo

Lots of maille from museums.

I've consolidated most of my vacation photos of maille and organized them into facebook albums. Everyone should definitely have a look there is some very interesting and spectacular stuff in there.

Provenance for most items is there, but some were unmarked. I'll add some commentary to the individual photos as I get the time.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=55673&l=25cb9&id=698015934

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=55670&l=b9a8a&id=698015934

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=55669&l=49c35&id=698015934

Edited by lorenzo
fixed links.

I'm not sure how to link to these albums so that people who are not on facebook can view them, if anyone knows how that works please let me know.

Is facebook still have statistics and promote high numbers of visitors and picture-viewings? If not, as people say above, it would be better and much more "secure" for your own sake to have the pictures on an open picture-server instead of FB .. that claims the rights to your pictures when you upload them.

Eric - When viewing an album, on the bottom it says:

"Show people this album by sending them this public link:"

And then a URL. That's the URL you want.

Wow, and Thank You for sharing.

I just loved the the coat of maille/hauberk done in the flattened rings with the pattern hammered on the rings. Lots of ideas now floating in my head.

Also that small ringed purse/bag was neat any more pictures of that.

Awsome pics. Quite a few I had,nt seen yet. The different ring/rivet types really show that all mail was not created equal. Thanks again for sharing. Now, back to riveting. Ant.

OH COOL!

Smok the Dragon? I see you must have visited Wawel Castle in Krakow! Did you by chance see the hauberk with all the interesting ornamental stars and bits, I think it was in a room with some horse barding? I wonder how often they change displays like that, I was there almost exactly a year ago and my dad's going back tomorrow.

This is an awesome album!

Did you by chance see the hauberk with all the interesting ornamental stars and bits, I think it was in a room with some horse barding?

Nope, I missed that, the armory was closed on the day I visited the castle. :( That happened about half a dozen times over the course of my trip, usually only with things I really wanted to see. You should ask your dad to get some pictures for the rest of us. :)

I was really amazed by the many different styles of rings, seems like a battlefield research experiment. If only the few preserved pieces that I've seen show so much diversity Imagine all the beautiful and unique pieces that rusted away. I think the centurions belt was particularly interesting. Sort of like a cross between shaggy loops and J4-1 but made in the 4th Cent BC.

it is amazing when you think about all the work those rivets must have been. when i need inspiration and guidance i always look at the museums. there is this really amazing arab chainmail at the Met with an inlay of verses from the Koran. it is the nicest armor that i have ever seen.

Nope, I missed that, the armory was closed on the day I visited the castle. :( That happened about half a dozen times over the course of my trip, usually only with things I really wanted to see. You should ask your dad to get some pictures for the rest of us. :)

Oh I wish I could've gotten a picture but they didn't want us doing the clicky thing. :( I did get a couple of their postcards though, none of that particular piece but a couple plate/chain suits. One of a Hussar? suit with feathered wings on the back. I'll have to find those and scan them.

God I love historical maille. I think the most stunning piece by far is the shirt with the gold rings on the collar. I couldn't imagine the rank of the person who wore that suit, perhaps high priest or bishop. Maybe royalty (a step down at that time, but still, hehe).

I'm not sure why, but historical maille just seems cooler than modern maille. May be the patina, may just be that they pin up otherwise floppy maille because it is missing chunks, but it is just so fun! Thanks for the awesome pics!