lorenzo

Lots of maille from museums.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1312534&id=698015934&l=b9a8a

Rivetted and butted? ..wth?

Great shot .. I am thinking the maker created the armor then opened them to attach to whatever its hangging on ?

Nice to know somethings never change :)

I suppose the item wasn't found in such good condition. The maille probably had to be disconnected from the rest during renovation...

...think I'm gonna visit one more place this summer:-)

A linguist friend and I have been looking at the shirt with the script on it. We have become addicted. We have drawn 2 conclusions The script is futhark and each ring is different. It took several Hours of photoshopping and researching and debate to settle as well. it was either futhark or proto sinaic. at least thats what we can tell from the photos. For each ring to be different, one asks what is the purpose? is it a map? (directions for a trade/raiding route) directions home? could it be a prayer or a bible of sorts? a story or collection of stories? without further study who knows? but you have to admit, whoever wrote all that was intending it to be passed down or kept for a long time. And also had a great deal of time on their hands. like say on a voyage or a pilgrimage.

just an educated 2 cents and a very HEARTY thank you

Lawrence

Did you mean this one?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1312557&id=698015934&l=b9a8a

Though I can't say anything about the script, I don't think each ring is different. I can definitely see some repeats. The rings get spun around in the weave, of course, so you would see a different part of the text on different rings.

Also, seeing that the letters are raised rather than inscribed, and there is also a raised ege to the ring, I'd draw the conclusion that the rings were stamped with the design in a similar fashion to coins. Noone would go through the trouble of making a stamp to make just one of each. It is quite likely that the text on the front and reverse of each ring is different, though.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1312534&id=698015934&l=b9a8a

Rivetted and butted? ..wth?

Great shot .. I am thinking the maker created the armor then opened them to attach to whatever its hangging on ?

Nice to know somethings never change :)

As far as I could tell when I was there, those rings were originally some odd type of riveted thing. It looks like they were sawn in half with a jewelers saw opposite the rivets, probably so the maille could be removed for restoration work and then reattached.

The rings on that shirt are all stamped and coined, but I believe that there are different inscriptions on each side.

I'm fairly sure that the language is Slavonic and Cyrillic based, all versions of futhark that I am familiar with were dead by about 1200 AD and the shirt is 16th century. I've compared it with Danish, Rok, Germanic and Anglo-Saxon futharks which I think are the most likely candidates

My own personal linguist is currently working on a translation of the provenance supplied by the curators. I'll post the results here when I get them.