Morvandium

How do you store your supplies?

For large spools of wire, the answer may seem obvious -- on a spool.

But for all the various other equipment and supplies (hand tools, electric tools, cut rings, coils, scales, etc.), where and how do you store yours?

I have been using tackle boxes of various types for years -- the one I've found recently is one I prefer. It's a sturdy artificial material canvas-like case with a shoulder strap. Except for the logo, it would appear to be a travel bag. It has extra pouches (for pliers, cutters, and sample pieces) and space for plastic drawers in the main area. These plastic drawers are unsecured and can easily be interchanged. With some weather stripping on them, rings don't migrate from one section to another... and by having a few extra on hand, I drop in the right drawers and I've got an entire collection of my 16 gauge rings, or a collection of scale-work material, etc.

(I can dig up brand names and pictures if anyone is interested.

I keep my larger quantities of rings separate, in bags of boxes, etc., but for supplies for a couple days, this is an excellent system. I tend to do a lot of work on the move -- down time at work, days off, visiting people where the main activity is watching TV, etc. (I also have a tray I carry with me to work on, to reduce the amount of rings that end up in someone's carpet, couch, etc.)

So, how does everyone else store their supplies?

Since I work exclusively in one ring size for armor, I don't worry about separate compartments. That said, I have a one gallon bucket that I'll transport my rings in, and I have an extra space in my backpack for my pliers, cutters, and any coils that haven't already been cut into rings. The work in progress, and my laptop, go in the main pocket of the backpack.

I'm in a photography class this semester, so I've got a lot of empty film canisters lying around, so right now I'm using those to store my smaller jewelry rings.

Edited by Keegan
ahh, 20g 1/8, you make me change my ways.

Hardware storage boxes for rubber and colored rings, tool boxes with removeable boxes for larger rings. Pliers just go wherever they fit. Armor rings are in a huge wooden box(s). Pieces of maille and such... go in more boxes.

For most of my tools and when I'm at a convention, I use an awesome looking wooden tool box that I got from Costco a couple of years ago. I managed to pick it up for around $65 USD. The tool box has 6 drawers on the front and then the top opens up and there's a handy tool tray. In regards to my rings, I use the plastic chip 'tubes' or a metal can that some delicious cookie-thingies come in. In regards to wire, it's stored where-ever it'll fit, or where-ever my wife won't throw a fit.

:wine:

I'll second Legba for the craftmates containers. I really like them for all of my jewelry rings because of the locking compartments. For other rings that are to big for the craftmates containers I use baby food jars. For my tools and other materials I use a Kennedy machinist tool chest...all the tools in the drawers and all my coils and spools of wire in the top. I make mostly jewelry so I don't have 40 lb spools of wire to carry around. The toolbox locks and all the drawers are ball bearing design...its a wonderful tool chest.

The Craftmates container that you pointed to is very similar to the tackle box that I use.

Skedros -- I like the chip tube approach. How long do those last before they break down? What type of rings do you store in them? (I would hazard the guess that aluminum rings don't destroy the container as fast as heavy steel does.)

This topic pops up every few months or so :P

I used to use the Craftmates caddys as well, but after one broke and my canvas carrying bag nigh on disintigrated, I was looking for something else... now Shelly's got me hooked on Dot Boxes. They're awesome, and I love how I can just grab whatever individual container I need when I'm working on a project on the couch. Link

All I have right now is an assortment of plastic locking boxes for my smaller stuff and the disposable Glad containers for my larger rings.

I've been recommended a few times to get the craftmates. So I finally went looking for them and found this:

http://www.birdcreektrading.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=APO90377&CartID=2

And it just happens to be listed as their "todays super deal" ($2.00 off). It looks pretty good for $39. So I ordered it just now.

And I went ahead and got a sorting tray since it was only $4 (like a pill sorter)

http://www.birdcreektrading.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=APO90372&CartID=1

I use altoid tins when I'm actually working on a project away from home. No slippage, and easy to get the rings out.

I use the 4 x 3 1/2" diam. stacking screw plastic containers to store my rings. I have 22 x 8 stacks for argentium yellow gold fill and silver and gold plated rings. Easy to see what I want, and I put a label into each container for ease of what ring is what. Plus by using 8 in a stack, I have a few lids over and can use individual stack when I need to.

I have a Yazzi bag (see http://www.yazzii.com) which comes in many sizes and types. But when I'm at my markets I can put my two Lindstom RX tools, four altoid tins, beading mat, glasses, and a couple of extra things. Bag is 7"x5" and about 4" high.

Without a car, I need ease and simplicity when dragging my 6.5kg trolley up and down steps at the train station onto a tram :( :( :(

DJ

Wire stays on its shipping racks until I am ready to make links. Links go directly from the coiler into 65# boxes, the boxes go into a shipping crate and as soon as it's full, the crate goes to Viet Nam. It comes back as welded subassemblies which go either into some oil drums out back or into various piles in the corners or under the workbenches until I am ready to work on them. I have almost completely eliminated the need to deal with loose links.

I just bought myself a new storage system for my jewellery rings:

http://www.craftmates.com/canvas.html

It was quite expensive over here but well worth it.

I wish I'd known before you bought it, those things are crap! My canvas bag didn't last a week before it started tearing, and the compartment lids can tear and/or warp easily. It's too bad because Craftmates usually is the best in my opinion.

The 7-sided circular organizers however are excellent!

plastic butter tubs, medicine bottles, ziploc bags and my (usually) 30+ pounds of backpack. I really need to organize though...

I use those locking Craftmates too. But I transport them to shows in a bag I got from the Army Surplus store. It must be like a 24" by something utility bag. I can put about 10 of the Craftmates in it, two stacks of five.

I buy the individual Craftmates at craft stores like Michaels for $3 or so depending on sale, coupon, etc.

Edited by Skeeter

mostly in craft storage boxes and ziplock baggies for the more numerous ones, there's a good photo of most of it here

I tend to have a smaller 6-compartment box that has individual locking spaces traveling with me, holding a few projects that come to my classes. This, pliers, and a baggie of "wares" (in case someone is buying) are all tossed into a plastic bag and into the unholy pit which is my backpack.

This is all a drastic improvement over me toting around pliers and an altoid tin with annealed steel in it stuffed into my cargo pockets :D

at this point I have been using plastic peanut butter jars, small ice cream tubs and the tubes the crystal light comes in.

The smaller jewery sized rings that I have usualy end up in film canisters, tictac cases and little zip bags. If you ask the guys at the one hour photo to colect them you can usualy get a bunch of film canisters for free.

I wish I'd known before you bought it, those things are crap! My canvas bag didn't last a week before it started tearing, and the compartment lids can tear and/or warp easily. It's too bad because Craftmates usually is the best in my opinion.

The 7-sided circular organizers however are excellent!

It's still early days (3 weeks) but I haven't had any problems yet. Maybe they've been improved???

It's still early days (3 weeks) but I haven't had any problems yet. Maybe they've been improved???

I've got 2 of those, one for the little locking containers and one for the big containers. Not bad, but the zipper on the big one is screwed up on the one side now. I don't carry them very much though, just to go to gatherings for the most part. From my perspective, I basically paid for the containers and got the bags as a bonus.

I had one for a month before one lid came off and the spring that keeps it locked fell out.

For 20g and smaller, I use spice jars from a dollar store. 18g and 16g I use canisters, also from a dollar store. My husband tells me I'm a bit OCD, but I just like having things organized and labeled, and neatly on a shelf!!!

For shows I keep them in rubbermaid divided containers that store in the tool box flat, so no chance of the rings jumping to other containers!!