Trimbat

Appropriate pricing question

Wow! Does anyone really read these insanely long posts? I certainly don't. -_-

Anyway. Trimbat in case you missed it here was a pretty good answer:

That was HIGHLY disrespectful to those who put their time and effort into thoroughly explaining their strategies.

That was HIGHLY disrespectful to those who put their time and effort into thoroughly explaining their strategies.

Maybe so--but he really was just saying that there were some long posts there, and that he didn't bother reading them--simple as that. I personally felt that he had a good point. Going into that degree of detail could turn off more people than not, and it doesn't really (IMHO) do much but add confusion.

Truly, if you have a point to make that is that important to you to get across, perhaps condensing it down to it's essence might be a good idea?

*shrugs* I just don't bother to read it all myself either, because I get overwhelmed at the thought of trying to decipher posts like that.

Just my 2 cents.

Going into that degree of detail could turn off more people than not, and it doesn't really (IMHO) do much but add confusion. Truly, if you have a point to make that is that important to you to get across, perhaps condensing it down to it's essence might be a good idea?

As one of the long posters in this thread, I don't have a point it is important for me to get across. I couldn't care less in terms of my personal gain if I convinced anyone. Whatever, go nuts, use a poor pricing and marketing strategy, fail all you'd like, makes it easier for me to succeed. I put time into writing what I did for two reasons. One, for others to read if they found it interesting to learn or consider incorporating into how they approach selling, to their own benefit. Two, because I found it interesting to engage with others and read how they'd do things differently. I like to learn, I do that by informing myself.

For someone who says they're "always learning...", you don't see much interested in pursuing it.

Take a newspaper for example. Okay, so you're only interested in reading the headlines, because all that big scary content in the article is just confusing. That's cool, but then you're suggesting the newspaper is doing something poorly, and calling for them to only print headlines because it's all you feel like reading. Can't it just be a pamphlet?

A debate is worse. Imagine if the presidential debates, rather than being several hours in duration, were only 5 minutes. Many people are not interested in hearing all that discussion. Why not just limit the responses to one sentence each? It'd be over in no time! Would you learn anything? Who cares, it'd be quick! A discussion, where people do not have fixed positions would be over even sooner because the participants wouldn't have anything to reply to each other, because they'd have nothing to work with.

If you want to be ignorant, that is okay. It's pretty easy, you just have to ignore most of what you see. But everyone who's not interested in ignoring can't just imagine or invent what might have been written. They need to actually read it. Far easier for those that want to read to read, and those that want to ignore what was written to ignore it.

I don't go insulting or snearing at people who make brief helpful comments just because I choose to make less brief comments. I don't really see the need for anyone else to do the reverse but.. *shrug*.

As one of the long posters in this thread, I don't have a point it is important for me to get across. I couldn't care less in terms of my personal gain if I convinced anyone. Whatever, go nuts, use a poor pricing and marketing strategy, fail all you'd like, makes it easier for me to succeed. I put time into writing what I did for two reasons. One, for others to read if they found it interesting to learn or consider incorporating into how they approach selling, to their own benefit. Two, because I found it interesting to engage with others and read how they'd do things differently. I like to learn, I do that by informing myself.

For someone who says they're "always learning...", you don't see much interested in pursuing it.

Take a newspaper for example. Okay, so you're only interested in reading the headlines, because all that big scary content in the article is just confusing. That's cool, but then you're suggesting the newspaper is doing something poorly, and calling for them to only print headlines because it's all you feel like reading. Can't it just be a pamphlet?

A debate is worse. Imagine if the presidential debates, rather than being several hours in duration, were only 5 minutes. Many people are not interested in hearing all that discussion. Why not just limit the responses to one sentence each? It'd be over in no time! Would you learn anything? Who cares, it'd be quick! A discussion, where people do not have fixed positions would be over even sooner because the participants wouldn't have anything to reply to each other, because they'd have nothing to work with.

If you want to be ignorant, that is okay. It's pretty easy, you just have to ignore most of what you see. But everyone who's not interested in ignoring can't just imagine or invent what might have been written. They need to actually read it. Far easier for those that want to read to read, and those that want to ignore what was written to ignore it.

I don't go insulting or snearing at people who make brief helpful comments just because I choose to make less brief comments. I don't really see the need for anyone else to do the reverse but.. *shrug*.

I don't have any problems with lengthy posts. I make them myself often on several other forums where I'm more established and active. There is, however, something to be said for word economy. I'm not talking about in this particular discussion, but just in general.

As Robert Southey said, "If you would be pungent, be brief; for it is with words as with sunbeams - the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn."

There's a lot of good information here both in brief and at length. I've enjoyed reading the discussion.

There is, however, something to be said for word economy.

Anyone can say simple things in a complex way. Many can say simple things simply. Fewer can say complex things in a complex way. Very few can say complex things in a simple way, and I am not that talented. It also takes a lot more work to revise and streamline.

"I did not have time to write you a short letter, so I wrote you a long one instead." -- Mark Twain.

I'm interested in learning, Cynake--just not at the expense of my sanity! LOL Learning--to me--does not necessarily mean "read every drop of information there is available to know about a subject". I neither have the time to do that, nor do I find all sources of information as "valuable" to me as others. I take all of that into consideration when I decide what to read and not to read.

Your posts, for example, often go into WAY more detailed info than I care to read. If I want a good pricing strategy, for example, I can find one that suits me and how I look at running a jewelry business without also hearing you get all up in arms about value vs cost or whatever you were going on about up there. Because you tend to get into what "feel" to me like emotional debates (and because I don't enjoy the feelings that are generated in me by those strong "opinions") I also do not tend to read your back and forth posts. This is personal preference. I was simply stating my personal preference (and my point was that so was Tukaram).

Could that personal preference be stated more nicely or not at all? Sure! But you, of all people, cannot throw stones at anyone for stating things in a not-super-nice way. [if you disagree with that statement then you simply have NO idea how offensively some of the ways you say things are to people who are emotionally driven (as opposed to logic driven) and I honestly think that is part of the reason why this is at all an issue--but I digress...]

I would tend to disagree with you that you "don't care" what people do pricing-wise simply because you "seem" to get soooo upset over this issue almost every chance you get to put your opinion forth on it. I can't know for sure if you "care" about getting your point across because I don't live in your head. If you just like to spew tons of info in the hopes that someone will find it interesting or useful, then by all means, continue. I will also continue to miss out on whatever gems might be hidden in your very very long posts (and no doubt, there are some gems hidden in them--I know you are an intelligent fellow) because I don't find it a good use of my time sifting through all of that info to find them.

If you want to be ignorant, that is okay. It's pretty easy, you just have to ignore most of what you see.

This is an example of what I meant by saying that the way you state things bothers folks. Do you put inflammatory statements like this into what you write just to piss folks off, or because you don't realize that you are being rude? (This is not a question I want an answer to--just simply something to think about.) Because someone doesn't want to read YOUR posts that is equal to a desire to be ignorant? Geez. And this, like I said, is another reason I don't enjoy reading your posts--you SEEM to like to get people's ire up and start endless debates with them over "he said she said"--I know that some people love "a good debate" but I am not one of them.

But everyone who's not interested in ignoring can't just imagine or invent what might have been written. They need to actually read it. Far easier for those that want to read to read, and those that want to ignore what was written to ignore it.

I'll grant you that, and I usually do just ignore it ;) I will continue to do so. I just thought that MAYYYYYBE someone MIGHT see the wisdom of condensing some things down to an essence so that MORE folks might learn from what they had to share. *shrugs*

I'm sorry if you did feel insulted--I was not trying to insult anyone. My intentions were to A) note that Tukaram was simply saying out loud what I imagine a lot of folks are thinking (but don't always say) about the overwhelming length of some posts being something that puts them off from reading them and B) to MAYBE get across the fact that people might be more inclined to read what some of you long posters have to say if you would consider condensing it down more or even perhaps break it down into more "bite site" pieces. If your goal is to be helpful, then I was pointing at a way that you might actually become more helpful. (So see--my attempts at being helpful are often met with the same kinds of rejection as yours are--something you and I discussed once in the past.)

I actually would LIKE to read more of what you say, Cynake--I just need my information to come in a more easy-to-read form than what you generally produce (and with less emotional upheaval).

Sorry if that bothers you, sorry if you'd rather I had kept that info to myself, etc. And, I am especially sorry to everyone if MY post just got too long!! LOL

Please don't expect me to answer you back on the board if you still want to debate about this. I have said my piece on it and have nothing else to say. I would have stopped at the last post if you had not engaged me directly in your reply. If you are still PERSONALLY offended about how you feel about what I said, feel free to PM me and I would talk to you privately about it.

Have a good day everyone--and I am SOOOO sorry that this thread has gotten off topic!

I hope you got the info you needed Trimbat!! You thought you asked a simple question, I bet!! LOL

Enough.

If it's too much to read, don't read it. Those who find it useful, will. If you don't like debates, don't continue one. If you don't like long posts, don't post them.

That's the beauty of a forum like this; multiple people can weigh in on the original topic, and everyone can take what they will from the resulting conversation. In that way, the board caters to its members as a whole, as opposed to tailoring things to individuals.

[/mod opinion]

[personal opinion]

I like the long posts. I want the why, the how. Saying 'use this formula' isn't *nearly* as useful to me as learning about all the different things that need to be accounted for when deciding a final price. I always used to charge according to what I paid for materials; now I charge according to what it will cost me to *replace* said materials. It's a difference that's saved my butt several times when silver prices have bounced, and it's something I learned in a very long post. :beer:

[/personal opinion]