Bernice Rahm

Faster Packing and Labelled Bags

THIS IS NOT IMMEDIATE - RATHER IT IS PHASED IN PLEASE READ! I don't want you to be disappointed when you order isn't labeled yet!

In the site upgrade I just announced you may notice I did not comment on

the drop downs for selecting the amount you want.

The #1 reason we changed the site to drop downs is to implement our exciting packaging changes.

We will now be using a machine to package most products on our site. This includes scales and rings.

You may have already noticed that the aa16316 or aa scales are sold by a bag that has a specific count. These were test items for our packing machine. Soon most items on our site will be that way. So you can buy a bag of 100 scales instead of 0.1 thousand!

The drop down is slightly annoying - to me at least.

However it prevents you from ordering partial bags (thus delaying your order). It also cleans up the display as it prevents you from ordering less than the minimum for that item. It also has the side benefit of automatically checking the checkbox for the item you just selected.

This packing machine will automatically label the bags and the rings will be sold by count! I think most people have asked us to do this so I'm glad we finally can offer this.

Not all items on our site will be packed this way so some items will still not be labeled unless you ask.

The bagging machine will speed up order packaging. Our shippers will only have to grab several already packaged products for you instead of weighing them out one by one.

This change will not happen overnight, I estimate it will take 6 months to bag our stock.

You can tell if an item has been bagged when the display changes to bags instead of lbs or oz. The process will start mid-June.

Enjoy!

This is excellent news, and I'm very, very excited.

One question I have - Or, more appropriately, one suggestion I would like to make, is that rings are still sold by weight, as opposed to by count.

Personally, I know what a half pound of 16g 5/16" stainless is, but I have no idea what, say, 2500 of those rings looks like.

I'm not sure if this is related, but...

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=16&cat=Machine+Cut+Bright+Aluminum+Rings&websess=14343517612419

The pulldown currently lists only numbers...

It would be helpful if there was a 'bag' or 'lbs' beside it (outside the box would probably be easier to code)... I see by the header that these are sold by the lb, but at quick glance, I might be buying .3 grams, bags, lbs, oz, ducks, fingers, etc. :D

The price on the site will be like this - weight will be listed. as stated I'll be doing templates next.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3300&stc=1&d=1243396093

D_L I am updating templates in the next few day. The qty field hasn't had a unit next to it for at least 2 months now.... funny that a pull down would make you want it now. The unit is by the price.

3300_thumb.attach

D_L I am updating templates in the next few day. The qty field hasn't had a unit next to it for at least 2 months now.... funny that a pull down would make you want it now. The unit is by the price.

I haven't made an order in a few months at least... So I haven't really noticed...

I guess before, when I had to type in a number, I was thinking more about how much I wanted, than selecting from a pulldown... :confused:

So what kind of machinery is it? Vibratory feeder with attached counter and heat sealer? Or something fancier like the gravity packers they use for potato chips and the like?

These are all very good changes and will make ordering and order processing much better and much more efficient. This is a huge effort on your part and reflects your commitment to offering superior service and products.

Certainly will be of benefit especially if the items ordered say "usually ship in 1 to 2 business days" but due to unforeseen circumstances take 3-4 days. Maybe the *usually* part can be dropped at that point?

Not a complaint, just an observation....:)

Oh My Gosh....a packaging machine that weighs and labels my items as it seals them into baggies.

Gone are the days of the few folks working out of a garage and supplying the worlds needs for quality mail rings/wire/...etc...

Just have to say, you folks have come a long way and keep making it better for the rest of us. Thanks for all the hard work and keep up the innovations. :)

Kavier

Wanna-be mailler

You do realize that, for those of us not near the warehouse, we're going to need pictures of the new kids, eh? :)

We'll be updating the factory tour pics later this summer. I'll post when this happens. While updating the site I realized just how out of date the factory pics we have are.

just put a prospect order together, and liking the new system with one notable exception. I've become quite accustomed to using quarter and half pounds. Is this something that is in the works (specifically BA) or should i just round up to the nearest available number?

The system looks weird now I know. It is like this because it is the prep stag before each item becomes sold by the bag. Soon you will buy say a bag of 400 rings not so much weight.

Soon you will buy say a bag of 400 rings not so much weight.

Translation: Soon you will have to mentally figure out how many bags you need, doing calculations based on how many rings per pound and how many rings per bag, as opposed to using a standard system of measurement in use since Roman times.

--

I understand, from an efficiency standpoint, how much better this new system will be. Packing times will be dramatically decreased, inventory control will be easier, and filling orders will be a dream. In the long run, this new machine will save man-hours, enabling TRL to run a more efficient and more profitable business, which will in turn allow you to better serve your customers with lower prices, speedier delivery, and a broader selection of products.

That being said, from a customer standpoint, this is a nightmare. Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I personally have absolutely no concept of quantities of rings, nor do I want to be forced into thinking in arbitrary quantities of rings. I know standard weights and measures; if need be, I can make do with metric weights and measures, but learning to think in a completely new unit is not something I'm looking forward to.

Additionally, when dealing with chainmail rings, we tend to deal in such large quantities of very small parts that counting quantities can quickly become absurd - Bright Aluminum 20ga 3/32'' ID, for instance, is listed at 2201 rings/oz, or 35216 rings/lb - Surely, buying those rings by the ounce or by the pound is a lot easier for the customer to handle than by the bag?

Is it possible, please, please, to at the very least list the weight per bag for each item type? Perhaps a listing like the following for each item in the dropdown menu:

1 Bag - 0.15 lbs

2 Bags - 0.30 lbs

3 Bags - 0.45 lbs

etc

Personally, I don't mind ordering in set quantities. Not at all. I placed an order this morning in which I was locked into set quantities of rings - For instance, .15 lbs of 14g 1/2" AA rings. I'm fine with that. If each "bag" holds .15 lbs of those rings, then so be it. I just don't want to have to order specifically one "bag", and then have to pull out a calculator and crossrefrence how many rings are in each bag for that specific size and material, and how many are in a pound or ounce, and then determine how many bags I need. That will get really old, really fast.

Did I miss a step? I thought it was already stated that the weight would be listed on the site, and on the bags themselves.

The price on the site will be like this - weight will be listed. as stated I'll be doing templates next.
Every bag will also list the weight.

When buying rings, there are a few different numbers that each specific ring has that are important to the buyer - It's a lot like high school science classes, where there are many different units that all relate to each other somehow. Let's take a look at what we have.

For any given ring size and material, there are:

a) the number of rings per unit of weight (Rings/lb)

B) the number of rings per unit of sale (Rings/bag)

c) the cost in dollars per unit of weight ($/lb)

d) the cost in dollars per unit of sale ($/bag)

Ideally, we the customers will see all four of these numbers. If all four are shown, I'm a happy camper and can figure out exactly what I need with a calculator, and judging from everything I've read in this thread, all that will be there, clear as day.

What I'm really pushing for, though, is

e) the number of units of weight per unit of sale (lbs/bag)

Looking at the screenshot that Bernice posted earlier in the thread, I see b and d, but I don't see a, c, or e.

All I'm saying is that I would really like to see that e figure when I order, because I've been dealing with pounds of rings for 12 years. I don't care if I need to order in multiples of b - In fact, I kind of like it. I just want to make sure I can quickly order, say, three quarters of a pound of rings or thereabouts, and know in my head what those rings will cost. If, due to the number of rings per bag, I have to order either .70 or .80 lbs of rings, that's fine, so long as I know that at a glance.

Hay, maybe it's just me, and maybe everyone else would prefer to order by quantity - If so, just ignore me, and I'll get used to it.

First off let me say that your request to have rings by the weight is the exception not the norm. Most customers don't know their orders by weight they know how many rings they want.

The packing machine is a by weight system - its just that we can now use strange weights that equal a count.

Is it possible, please, please, to at the very least list the weight per bag for each item type?

Of course this will be in the description next to the count.

For any given ring size and material, there are:

a) the number of rings per unit of weight (Rings/lb)

B) the number of rings per unit of sale (Rings/bag)

c) the cost in dollars per unit of weight ($/lb)

d) the cost in dollars per unit of sale ($/bag)

e) the number of units of weight per unit of sale (lbs/bag)

I am not done the new templates.

We also show the cost per ring and the cost at each discount level. Just click the down.gif

I placed an order yesterday, and am very excited to see the new baggies. Ordering was fairly painless... Since I work mainly with sterling, I tend to figure out ring counts, or I know roughly how many ounces I want. Drop down menu, 1.2 ounces or whatever, ta da!

The only minor annoyance was when I was ordering EC for an inlay... I wanted one ounce of a couple colours, but the increments are .75... which was *just* what I'd need, and I always order extras 'just in case', so I ended up bumping up to 1.5oz on a few colours. It'd be nice to have the min order start at .75, and then go up by .25 increments or something. But ohnoes, I'll have extra rings to play with, I could just scream! :mad::P

And I never forgot to add anything to my cart, now that the boxes are automatically checked! :D

It'd be nice to have the min order start at .75, and then go up by .25 increments or something.

We can't do this now, because most items will be pre-bagged the bags will be the minimum size. This is why the drop downs are multiples of the minimum. It will make more sense when its bags - because you won't be able to buy 1/2 a bag.