Bernice Daniels

Faster Packing and Labelled Bags

I was looking around and noticed the new drill down areas no longer list the quantities in stock...

The info should certainly be there. What product were you looking at?

Some products don't show stock because we have lots or make it to order. No saw cut rings show stock.

but does this mean that packaging accuracy will be increased/decreased. In my last order instead of getting one black and one red bag of AA, I got two black AA bags.

Though in the end it didn't matter because the project wasn't compatible with the ring size, wasted.

but does this mean that packaging accuracy will be increased/decreased. In my last order instead of getting one black and one red bag of AA, I got two black AA bags.

Though in the end it didn't matter because the project wasn't compatible with the ring size, wasted.

This is unrelated, but if all the bags are labeled it does provide another layer of double checking for the shippers.

Although I have mixed feelings about having to order by ring count now, I am happy that you'll still list the weight of the bags. I'm sure many of us that work in non-precious metals would rather order by weight, as that's what we're accustomed to.

I have no idea what 100 AA1614 rings looks like, nor how much of a braclet they'll make, but I certainly know what .5 pounds looks like and how many items that will make before I have to order more. I'm sure this is much more the norm than the exception, it's just they way it's always been ;-)

I'm sure hoping that this will help the problem that I've come across in the past of having different sizes mixed in. It's happened a few times and I've always made do with it, one time it happened that I bought (I think it was) 5 pounds of Stainless rings of one size, and got about 4 pounds of the size I wanted, and 1 pound of this other size... all mixed in the same bag ;-( Was aweful to separate as the sizes were prett close, but I did wind up using this other size as well :-)

Mike B

this is excellent news.. im well pleased and this is just in time. if all of the information Bill wants is there, and all the information you state will be there is there. then this is perfect.

The ability to buy by weight and accurate ring count.

quick question, this topic wasnt here when I ordered. but I recieved an order of machine cut SS (without label) in 5 seperate sealed baggies. I dont mind but was that the new machine at work?

As long as rings per pound is still present im in. I like giving people quotes on the weight of their final product. else this is awsome, thanks guys ^^

(Alas my lazy typing, hope its readable. sorry, ciao)

~Anthony

quick question, this topic wasnt here when I ordered. but I recieved an order of machine cut SS (without label) in 5 seperate sealed baggies. I dont mind but was that the new machine at work?

the ss18316 was a test product. It is currently in 0.2 lb bags if you order smaller amounts this is what you will get.

Notice the hole for hanging up your bags and the easy tear notch? We paid extra for those fun and fancy features.

I'm sure hoping that this will help the problem that I've come across in the past of having different sizes mixed in. It's happened a few times and I've always made do with it, one time it happened that I bought (I think it was) 5 pounds of Stainless rings of one size, and got about 4 pounds of the size I wanted, and 1 pound of this other size... all mixed in the same bag ;-( Was aweful to separate as the sizes were prett close, but I did wind up using this other size as well :-)

This is (IMHO) the biggest bonus of getting this new system. We in the shipping department are, alas, only human and at times bins were contaminated. Most times it's easy and obvious (crap, I threw the 16516 green in the 16516 yellow) but there's always the fun of separating 16732 from 16316 or somesuch. The amount of time this eats up, not to mention the tedium involved, is huge. At least now if we throw the wrong coloured scales in a bin it's easy to fix ;)

The other big bonus is increasing the speed of processing orders. A full page order (over 30 items or so) now takes between 45 min to an hour depending on what kind of things are ordered. With everything pre-bagged that same order would take about 10 min. Since you guys keep telling your friends about us we'll be able to keep up with all of you ;)

Seriously?

Like, for realsies?

Squee!

Like..seriously...looks like pegboard is going to be on its way to the workshop wall.

Only way this could be better is if they were resealable...:D

Like..seriously...looks like pegboard is going to be on its way to the workshop wall.

Only way this could be better is if they were resealable...:D

Hobby Lobby sells mass quantities of small ziplock bags that you can easily put a hole in if needed... Just cause i can see them not wanting to go with re-sealable in the event that one bag might end up opening.

Re-sealable means your rings generally arrive in one pile in your box. We did consider this when buying our bagger... unfortunately its a complicated mix of criteria to get a bagger and the resealable wouldn't work for us. I do regret this - being an environmentalist and all.

We do hope people like the ability to hang the bags up. I'm envisioning some peg boards instead of jars in future to make your lives easier.

FYI aa1614 was bagged last week and aa1438 is being bagged right now.

There was a question about bulk sent via email. Basically the answer is - the bags are about the same as the minimum order we had before (give or take). They are priced exactly the same! Being a number cruncher by training I did a statistical analysis of our sales and found that (with some exceptions) most people buy the minimum amount of a given item or up to less than 10 times (so 10 bags or less).

The bags are not a different price than bulk. We do intend to have bulk in all places that we can. For example ss16516 - we don't intend on shipping 50 1/2 lb bags if you order a hauberk kit! it will be bulk. I will ask that all stores/people that want 50 1/2 lb bags just let us know in the comments area. (after this item is bagged not now). I think these would be a great addition to someones table selling at renfairs... assuming your customers are the kind that ask about stuff like this - or maybe its for the people who say they know how to do that and just talk and walk away. (yes I've sold to the public at shows I know the lovely banter sellers get)

Enjoy!

I'm not sure if this is helpful to anyone, but I thought I'd add a note from our perspective. We've been selling TRL rings for a bit, but when we first started, we sat down to think about this too. We're in continental Europe, and lbs mean very little to us, just like counts can be a bit tricky for some people. So we could:

- sell by weight in imperial units

- sell by weight in grams or kilos

- sell by count

If we were selling primarily to the UK, it would make some sense to use lbs. However much they're supposed to have gone metric ages ago, most people still know what a pound is. It would also mean less waste from converting big bags into small baggies. We'd be ignoring the rest of Europe though, and since we sell primarily to them it didn't seem viable.

We considered selling metric bags, but we realised most of the people we were selling to had no idea how many rings there would be in a kilo bag. We get a lot of people asking us how many rings went into a piece, but hardly anyone asks exactly how heavy a piece is (there is a lot of 'That must be really heavy!'). Since we're selling to a lot of starting maillers, we didn't think it would make sense to make them learn how many rings go into a weight when we could just sell them by a unit they know.

So we ended up with selling by the count because it was more intuitive, more suited for both metric- and imperial-using customers and saved us a lot of questions. We do usually have some rings left because the measurements don't convert one to one, but we chuck them in the baggies we have as a bonus if it's a bit, or save it for another batch if it's a lot.

Packaging-wise, we mostly use zip lock bags which already come with a hole punched at the top for hanging. Our microcorrugated cardboard shipping envelopes wedge them in and we haven't really had any complaints. Larger orders of rings do get sealed in reused resealable bags or plastic tube foil like TRL's. I've seen resealable bags (for peanuts and such) with a heat sealable lip at the top, above the zip strip. I'm not sure that would work with this machine though but maybe it's something to look into.

All in all, we're pretty happy with this. Resealable would be even better, but we'll take pre-counted without complaining:)

Janou&Xander

The Queen Ring

The site is much faster now.

Some of you may have noted the purchasing site was SLOW.

I have spent a good number of hours troubleshooting and tweaking code. The result that is visible to you is that the drop down box for quantity has disappeared. You can now enter the amount you want again.

My tweaks have made it so a page that took 70 seconds to load yesterday takes 8 today (I'm not on the fastest of high speed connections only 2MBPS)

Please note: if an item is sold by the bag you have to order in multiples of bags. Sounds logical enough, but we always have people ordering 1/2 a bag or 1/2 a mandrel etc.

I was able to keep the feature that auto-checks the add to cart button when you change the amount you want.

Edited by Bernice Daniels

There should be a way that it automatically checks to make sure you can't put in a partial number... I forget the code to take care of it, but I know its possible.

It is interesting to see an order of 1.5 bags though...

There should be a way that it automatically checks to make sure you can't put in a partial number... I forget the code to take care of it, but I know its possible.

It is interesting to see an order of 1.5 bags though...

There is - but not all products on our site are ordered by integers. You can still order 0.1 lbs of some things. I never make it easy! I'm still pondering for a solution...

There is - but not all products on our site are ordered by integers. You can still order 0.1 lbs of some things. I never make it easy! I'm still pondering for a solution...

Isn't the ultimate goal to have everything bagged in a minimum quantity? Wouldn't you be able to set the integer system up then?

Don't know how much pondering you've done or if you've found a solution, so here's my thoughts:

Not sure what code you are writing in and what not, but I would assume that there is already a look-up table in your source that has every product listed (could be a table of structures or an excel table, I honestly have no idea). Given that the current structuring is probably already in place to add variables to each product like unit mass, count per unit, price, etc., you may want to add another variable called something like "isInt" or something that you can use to note whether the product must be sold in integers or not, then a simple IF/ELSE statement should be able to take care of the rest.

Like I said, not sure how your source is written or what language you are using, or if you've already finished but that's how I would go about solving that problem.

SG

I finally got to watch the machine in Action tonight!! VERY COOL!! I love the mirror so you can watch... I get mesmerized easily by watching most of the machines that TRL runs...

They could hire me... but I'd get nothing done as I'd need a lawn chair and popcorn, and I'd sit and watch :) hahaha...

I finally got to watch the machine in Action tonight!! VERY COOL!! I love the mirror so you can watch... I get mesmerized easily by watching most of the machines that TRL runs...

They could hire me... but I'd get nothing done as I'd need a lawn chair and popcorn, and I'd sit and watch :) hahaha...

Then .... who'd run your shop??? :cool: