Bernice Daniels

Faster Packing and Labelled Bags

I didn't get to see the machine running, but I did get to take a peek at it this weekend as well. *slow whistle* It's pretty darn spiffy. And the bags that it's popping out look fabulous! I'm even more excited for them now!

There is - but not all products on our site are ordered by integers. You can still order 0.1 lbs of some things. I never make it easy! I'm still pondering for a solution...

Speaking as a someone who writes programs for a living (maile is an interest, not what I do for a living, despite large projects). The conventional solution is to simply handle everything as integers behind the scenes.

Have something sold by the 0.1lb? When a number is typed in, divide by the selling unit (0.1) and store the resulting integer (1). Then, when you display it, you multiply by the selling unit (0.1) and display the result (0.1lb).

The other fun thing you can do with this is have multiple conversions stored behind the scenes. Someone wants to purchase by the square meter? Simply use the appropriate conversion factor. You could also do things like, enter the size of maile you want and display how much various rings sizes would be needed (plus cost, weight, etc).

The only complexity is how you handle conversion to/from integers. Most likely, you would want to round up quantities entered by a person, while during display you would want to round down (truncate to some number of decimal places).

Personally, I can handle most of the conversions in my head (gee, funny how someone who works with numbers a lot can deal with them in his/her head), so changing to ordering by the bag doesn't make much difference, except for being surprised that things change. Again, personally I prefer to keep JavaScript off, (ugh, nearly every recent browser security hole can be avoided by turning it off), so I guess I'm a little against that change though I'm pretty sure I'm the minority here.

Again, personally I prefer to keep JavaScript off, (ugh, nearly every recent browser security hole can be avoided by turning it off), so I guess I'm a little against that change though I'm pretty sure I'm the minority here.

We have had javascript code converting ring sizes and showing AR's for about 3 years now. Adding javascript is not new to our site.

Personally, I can handle most of the conversions in my head (gee, funny how someone who works with numbers a lot can deal with them in his/her head), so changing to ordering by the bag doesn't make much difference, except for being surprised that things change.

My original concern with this whole thing was for this exact reason - First of all, I hate and fear change of any sort, and secondly, I'm no mathmagician.

Luckily, Bernice explained it all in terms even I could understand.

One thing to look at in the future -- not now! -- are your vest/coif calculators. Right now, they give the rings needed in count and pounds ... it would make life super easy for customers if it also listed bags. This certainly isn't necessary, and if the bags have different counts (as they most likely will), it could be a pain to set up. And the counts are already there.

0-0-0-0-0-0

As a new mailer who doesn't think in pounds per piece OR count per piece yet, switching system doesn't bother me. If I'm calculating quantities, I'm more likely to use counts: my Goth daughter wants 2 29" Byz chains in 16 gauge, I found out that 16g Byz takes 16 rings per inch, and 16*29*2 = ... close to 1,000. I don't know how much that weighs, and don't need to -- in fact the new system will save me a calculation, that of turning 1,000 rings into the right weight to order.

I suppose after a few years, I'll be Bill's opposite ... knowing instinctively how many rings I need, but not knowing the weight. Is this better? worse? I don't know, and Bernice, Jon, & company should work to keep both Bill and me happy, especially if it's just a few lines of text on a web page.

I just received my first order with the new bags (I ordered a lot of AA1614, for a series of projects) and they look great! The labeling's useful (showing quantity, weight, size, and material) and the bags also broke down my order into manageable chunks, so that I can break into the 4-5 lbs I purchased a little at a time, without worrying about how exactly to store the rest of it. Thank you- a good and value-added improvement.

I like the idea very much, if only for the labeling. Large orders will be easier to sort out of the box.

I have mainly only one concern, I have in the past received mixed lots when ordering one ring size, and found the differences that comes with wire gauge lots and metallurgy ect.

Whats to keep us from receiving different lots in this new pre-measured bag setup?

Janus

I have mainly only one concern, I have in the past received mixed lots when ordering one ring size, and found the differences that comes with wire gauge lots and metallurgy ect.

Whats to keep us from receiving different lots in this new pre-measured bag setup?

Janus

I'm sure they can correct me if I am wrong, but part of the benefit of the new system is they can package the rings in the batches as they are made instead of throwing them in a bulk bin which is where human error tends to occur. Instead of throwing a batch of just manufactured rings in the wrong bin they can bag it before shuffling off to the stock room with it.

I'm sure they can correct me if I am wrong, but part of the benefit of the new system is they can package the rings in the batches as they are made instead of throwing them in a bulk bin which is where human error tends to occur. Instead of throwing a batch of just manufactured rings in the wrong bin they can bag it before shuffling off to the stock room with it.

That's the one thing that will be the biggest time saver. The worst is knowing that the wrong size/colour is going into the bin as they're falling in :P Once everything's done I won't see products upfront until they're bagged.

I just received my first order with the new bags (I ordered a lot of AA1614, for a series of projects) and they look great! The labeling's useful (showing quantity, weight, size, and material) and the bags also broke down my order into manageable chunks, so that I can break into the 4-5 lbs I purchased a little at a time, without worrying about how exactly to store the rest of it. Thank you- a good and value-added improvement.

I haven't seen any labeling on the last 3 orders I placed in the last month-n-a-half . I wonder what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing?

It will take us over 12 months to bag our inventory. So far anodized aluminum is mostly done. You can tell because they are listed as being sold by the bag and have counts.

I have some bags to photograph here and will be posting about the bagging details in a new post shortly.